News & Events
- Northwest Ohio Ag-Business Breakfast Forum Sept. 18
- 2014 Workshop on Ag Terrorism: Threats, Impacts and Challenges Sept. 24-25
- Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification Program Training Sept. 25
- NE Ohio Farm to School Regional Workshop Sept. 26
- Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification Program Training Sept. 26
Animal Agriculture 101: Basics of Farm Animal Care & Management
May. 10, 2011 | 09:00 am
Portage County Extension Office
6970 State Route 88
Ravenna, OH 44266
Gain understanding of on-farm animal care and production practices from experts in the field of dairy cattle, equine, beef cattle, swine, poultry, sheep, goats and more.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the Animal Agriculture 101 course is to provide a basic understanding of farm animal care and production practices, and to identify resources for local animal shelters and officials dealing with animal care complaints.
AUDIENCE: The course is suitable for: humane officers/agents; dog wardens; animal control officers; local animal shelters/humane societies; sheriff deputies; and county commissioners and others that deal with animal cruelty complaints.
Participants can expect to learn about the following topics:
- Basic animal care and production practices
- Body condition as a tool to assess nutritional and health status of animals
- Basic animal behavior and handling
- Proper biosecurity to limit spread of disease when entering/exiting a farm
- Additional information on Livestock disposal options, How to handle the media and The role of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
Visits with local farmers on their farms will take place at later dates, giving participants the opportunity to hear firsthand how their animals are well-cared for.
Click the video to the left to hear more about the program from Dr. Leah Dorman.
Click the link to the left to download the Animal 101 brochure for complete details and an RSVP form.
For more information about the speakers or topics, contact Dr. Leah Dorman at email@example.com or 614-246-8247.
For questions concerning the event location and to RSVP, download the brochure via the link on this page, or contact Wanda Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 614-246-8271
RSVP deadline is May 3.
Animal Agriculture 101 is presented by Ohio Farm Bureau Federation in cooperation with Ohio State University Extension.