News & Events
Shale and You: A Workshop for Landowners and Communities Nov. 10
Nov. 10, 2012 | 01:00 pm - 06:00 pm
Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center
7033 Glenn Highway
Join Ohio State University Extension educators and specialists to discuss the development of Ohio’s shale resources and its impact on landowners and communities. Information gained through the workshop can help landowners and community members learn what questions to ask and what to anticipate as a result of shale development. Attendees can also visit educational booths throughout the day and talk individually with Ohio State educators.
The workshop includes the following presentations:
- Update on Ohio Shale Development and Activity by Chris Penrose, OSU Extension educator in Morgan County.
- Community and Strategic Planning by Eric Romich, OSU Extension field specialist in energy development.
- Tax Issues for Communities and Landowners by Dave Marrison, OSU Extension educator in Ashtabula and Trumbull counties.
- What to Do When "Sudden Wealth Happens" by Polly Loy, OSU Extension educator in Belmont County.
- Leasing Issues for Farms and Rural Land by Hall and Clif Little, OSU Extension educator in Guernsey County.
- Pumping the Product: Pipeline Easements and Construction by Mark Landefeld, OSU Extension educator in Monroe County, and Chris Zoller, OSU Extension educator in Tuscarawas County.
- Natural Resource Issues: Where to Find Helpful Resources by Steve Schumacher, OSU Extension educator in Belmont County, and Mike Lloyd, OSU Extension educator in Noble County.
- A Landowner's Point of View, featuring Schumacher and a panel of landowners who have dealt with shale development directly.
The program ends with "What If Problems Arise?" featuring a panel of Extension educators and moderated by Dale Arnold of Ohio Farm Bureau. In addition, tables with information in the lobby of the auditorium will be staffed throughout the afternoon to allow participants to get more information on issues they are specifically concerned about.
Registration is $10 and must be received by Monday, Nov. 5, by the Guernsey County office of OSU Extension in Old Washington, Ohio. Registration forms with the office's address and other details can be downloaded.