News & Events
- 2014 Workshop on Ag Terrorism: Threats, Impacts and Challenges Sept. 24-25
- Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification Program Training Sept. 25
- NE Ohio Farm to School Regional Workshop Sept. 26
- Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator Certification Program Training Sept. 26
- Your Woods, Water and Wildlife Oct. 2
Sheep Grazing Management Tour July 12
Jul. 12, 2013 | 08:30 am - 05:00 pm
Sheep owners are invited to participate in the sheep grazing management tour July 12 in Holmes County. The tour will be conducted in the scenic Charm area, with stops at four Amish sheep farms.
Topics to be discussed at the farms will include:
- information for the beginning sheep farmer using low cost start-up investment;
- cool season pasture species;
- warm season annuals;
- use of minerals;
- fencing and rotation management;
- breeding management and
Each farm will have something different to offer as they explain how their sheep operation works for their farm and family.
Resource people for the tour include Bob Hendershot, Green Pasture Services; Jeff McCutcheon, OSU Extension Morrow County; Rory Lewandowski, OSU Extension Wayne County and Troyce Barnett, NRCS grasslands specialist. They will be on hand to provide information about pasture grasses, grazing management, sheep production and to answer questions.
Pre-registration is required and is limited to the first 100 people. Thanks to financial sponsorship from the Ohio Sheep and Wool Program and the Ohio Forage and Grassland Council, the cost is only $35 per person which includes lunch and refreshments. Registrations must be received by July 1.
Check-in for the tour will begin at 8:30 a.m. in the rear parking lot of Keim Lumber located at 4465 SR557 Charm Ohio, 44617. The bus will leave at 9 a.m. from Keim Lumber. Lunch, included in the registration cost, will be served at the Carpenter’s Café located inside Keim Lumber.
For more information about the tour, contact Rory Lewandowski at the Wayne County Extension office at 330-264-8722.