News & Events
You might also like
- Top Ohio farm photos of the week
- Talking water issues with Congress, U.S. EPA
- Farmers testify in support of agritourism bill
- Dozens of fertilizer, pesticide certification classes now offered
- Bid now on great Foundation auction items
Ohio Sheep Day scheduled for July 16 at Blue Heron Farm
Ohio sheep farmers and anyone dedicated to sheep production are invited to participate in the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association’s (OSIA) 2011 Ohio Sheep Day, to be held July 16 at Blue Heron Farm in Lisbon.
Focused on improving the profitability of sheep farms, the event will offer visitors the opportunity to visit a successful sheep farming operation, and come away with profitable ideas on sheep nutrition, management systems and many other areas of sheep production.
A partial list of programming for the day includes:
• Blue Heron Farm Land and Facility Tour and Management Discussion
• Increasing the Profitability of your sheep flock
• Basic Sheep Management Practices for the Beginner or Novice Shepherd
• Internal Parasite Programs
• Lamb Carcass Cuts and Lamb Cooking Demonstrations
• Utilization of Annuals and Perennials in a Pasture Management System
• Ruminant Nutritional and Health Programs utilizing Dried Distillers Grain
• Utilization of Watering Systems in Pasture and Grazing Management Systems
• Manure Management
• EQIP Funding for a Sheep Farm
Dr. Richard Ehrhardt, small ruminant specialist at Michigan State University will be the keynote speaker. A trade show dealing with several aspects of sheep production and management will also be held for attendees to visit and purchase supplies and equipment.
A lamb luncheon is included as part as registration for the Ohio Sheep Day event, no preregistration necessary.
Ohio Sheep Day is sponsored by the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association, Ohio Sheep and Wool Program, OSU Sheep Team, Ohio State University Extension and the Ohio State University Animal Sciences Department.
For more information, contact Roger A. High at (614) 246-8299 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit www.ohiosheep.org, or become a fan of the Ohio Sheep Improvement Association on Facebook.
Pre-Ohio Sheep Day Tour
The Ohio Forage and Grassland Council will once again host a pre-Ohio Sheep Day tour of Columbiana County area grazing and forage-oriented farm operations on July 15. More information will be available at www.ohiosheep.org.
Directions to 2011 Ohio Sheep Day:
Blue Heron Farm, under the direction of owner Cynthia Koonce, concentrates on marketing a variety of commercial lambs in an ideal location for sheep production in the upper part of the Ohio Appalachian region. The farm is located at 32994 Teergarden Road, Lisbon, OH 44432.
From the West: Take SR 30 from Canton. At the intersection with SR 172 in East Canton take SR 172 to Teegarden Rd. Follow Teegarden across the lake causeway to the third driveway on the left.
From the East: Take SR 30 out of Lisbon, to the Y with SR 172; take SR 172 to the right. Turn right at Depot Rd. Turn left at Teegarden Rd. Go one mile to the bottom of the hill just before the lake. Farm is on the right.
From the North: Take Depot Rd. south from Salem to second Teegarden sign on the right. Go one mine to the bottom of the hill just before the lake. Farm is on the right.