News & Events
You might also like
- Congress extends tax breaks beneficial to farmers
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
Sheep and Goat WebEx Series to be held across Ohio in February
The Ohio Sheep Improvement Association is partnering with Ohio State University Extension to sponsor the 2012 Sheep and Goat WebEx series, a web-based training and informational series for the state’s sheep and goat farmers.
Concentrating on sheep and goat health programs, the series features numerous topics and speakers. Ohio sheep and goat farmers may attend these sessions at several Extension offices throughout the state. There will be one live WebEx site and 13 remote sites available for the sessions, which will replace the traditional “District” Sheep and Goat programs previously held in the state.
The WebEx series will assist sheep and goat farmers in becoming better managers of their farms, and provide advice to those interested in entering the growing industry.
Roger A. High, OSU Sheep Extension program specialist and coordinator of the WebEx series, said the program was developed in to get more information to sheep and goat farmers while also reducing expenses related to programming, travel and other costs. “We can conduct these WebEx programs at a much lower cost than sending multiple speakers running across the state of Ohio to speak to our sheep and goat farmers,” said High.
The four-session sheep and goat WebEx series can be viewed from 7 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 6, 13, 20 and 27 at various Ohio State University Extension sites. See the list below, and check with your county Extension office to find the location nearest you.
Sessions are to be held as follows:
• Feb. 6 - “Lambing and Kidding Management and Newborn Health Issues” presented by Dr. Bill Shulaw, OSU Preventive Veterinary Medicine.
• Feb. 13 - “Internal Parasites” presented by Rory Lewandowski and Jeff McCutcheon, both OSU Extension Educators with a wide variety of experiences in managing internal parasites in sheep and goats.
• Feb. 20 - “Udder Health and Mastitis”, and will be presented by Dr. Leo Timms, Professor, Iowa State University, who specializes in the ruminant mammary health.
• Feb. 27 - “Recognizing, Treating, and Preventing Major Diseases of Sheep and Goats”, presented by Dr. Eric Gordon, OSU Veterinary Medicine, Marysville.
Each program site will have key OSU Extension personnel or contacts responsible for the program on hand. Locations and contacts for each include:
• Live WebEx Location:
o Knox County, Troy Cooper, Knox County Extension, Coordinator, (740) 397-0401 ? Site Location: Knox County Career Center, Mt.Vernon
• Remote WebEx Locations:
o Athens County, Athens County Extension, Coordinator, (740) 593-8555 ? Site Location: USDA Building, The Plains.
o Auglaize County, John Smith, Auglaize County Extension, Coordinator, (419) 739-6850 ? Site Location: Auglaize County Extension Office, Wapakoneta
o Clinton County, Tony Nye, Clinton County Extension, (937) 382-0901 ? Site Location: Clinton County Extension Office, Wilmington
o Coshocton County, Tammy Rogers, Coshocton County Extension, (740) 622-2265 ? Site Location: Coshocton County Extension Office, Coshocton
o Coshocton County, Don Brown, Coordinator, (330) 897-4320 ? Site Location: New Bedford TMK Feed Store, Fresno (corner of SR 643 and SR 651) ? Attendees must bring their own chairs
o Hancock County, Ed Lentz, Hancock County Extension, Coordinator, (419) 422-3851 ? Site Location: Hancock County Extension Office, Findlay
o Hardin County, Gene McCluer, Hardin County Extension, Coordinator, (419) 674-2297 ? Site Location: Ada Community Health professional Building, Ada
o Holmes County, Kate Shumaker, Holmes County Extension, Coordinator, (330) 674-3015 ? Site Location: Holmes County Extension Office, Millersburg
o Huron County, Mike Gastier, Huron County Extension, Coordinator, (419) 668-8219 ? Site Location: Huron County Administration Building, Norwalk
o Muskingum County, Mark Mechling, Muskingum County Extension, Coordinator, (740) 454-0144 ? Site Location: Muskingum County Extension Office, Zanesville
o Union County, Jon Rausch, Union County Extension, Coordinator, (937) 644-8117 ? Site Location: Union County Extension Office, Marysville ? PRE-REGISTRATION REQUIRED to attend the Union County Remote Site
o Wayne County, Rory Lewandowski, Wayne County Extension, Coordinator, (330) 264-8722 ? Site Location: OARDC, Room 130 Research Services, Wooster
o Williams County, Flo Chirra, Williams County Extension, Coordinator, (419) 636-5608 ? Site Location: Williams County Extension Office, Bryan