News & Events
You might also like
- Five Tips on Drainage Law
- 2014 Ohio Farm Bureau Presidents Trip to D.C.
- How OFBF members are working to change a law affecting road access
- Animals make our lives better
- A non-partisan look at the implications of the Affordable Care Act
April 2012 County Farm Bureau Round-Up
It won’t be long before most of Ohio’s farmers are getting out into the fields to plant this year’s crop. County Farm Bureaus are gearing up for the busy season with farm events, informational meetings, scholarships and more.
Here’s a look at what’s happening this month and beyond. Click the link accompanying each item for more information.
COUNTY FARM BUREAU SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
A number of county Farm Bureaus continue to offer scholarships for local students pursuing an agriculture-related degree. Here’s a list of available opportunities by county, along with the application due date.
Auglaize County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Belmont County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 2
Clinton County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 15
Delaware County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Fayette County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 2
Franklin County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Greene County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 15
Jefferson County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 3
Knox County Farm Bureau Scholarship – May 31
Logan County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Lucas County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 5
Madison County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Marion County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 16
Mercer County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Ottawa County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 5
Preble County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 20
Sandusky County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 5
Shelby County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 13
Warren County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 2
Wood County Farm Bureau Scholarship – April 5
OIL & GAS EXPLORATION INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS
Oil and gas exploration continues to increase and move west across Ohio. Here’s a list of meetings where landowners can receive more information about what they should know if approached about leasing their land.
April 17 – Carroll County Farm Bureau hosts a a discussion with Ohio Farm Bureau Director of Energy Policy Dale Arnold on what to consider if an old oil and gas lease is bought by an oil and gas company for exploration.
April 23 – Guernsey, Noble and Washington county Farm Bureaus host a discussion with Ohio Farm Bureau Director of Energy Policy Dale Arnold on what to consider if an old oil and gas lease is bought by an oil and gas company for exploration.
April 24 – Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau hosts a discussion with Ohio Farm Bureau Director of Energy Policy Dale Arnold on what to consider if an old oil and gas lease is bought by an oil and gas company for exploration.
EVENTS AND ACTIVITES BY DATE
April 2 – Get an update on proposed child labor laws and the impact for on-farm youth from Ohio Farm Bureau’s Adam Sharp at this meeting at Coldwater High School in Mercer County.
April 5 – Fairfield County Policy Development Breakfast – Bring opinions and comments on what Farm Bureau should be focused on in policy for the upcoming year at this breakfast at the Ag Center in Lancaster.
April 10 – Belmont County Farm Bureau invites residents to an informational meeting on Financial Planning and Identity Theft.
April 13 – Guernsey County Farm Bureau Annual Pork Chop Dinner from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
April 13-14 – Richland County Farm Bureau reminds residents to check out the annual tree sale hosted by Clear Fork FFA and the Richland County Soil & Water Conservation Department.
April 14-15 – Get a taste of American Agriculture during the fourth annual Ag Days celebration hosted by Fairfield and Hocking County Farm Bureaus. More than 70 exhibitors, displays, tournaments, competitions, entertainment, livestock and kids activities available.
April 21 – Carroll County Farm Bureau members are invited to a day of free hands-on Facebook training with Ohio Farm Bureau Director of Digital Strategy Dan Toland. Sessions to be held both for beginners and advanced users. Location: Carrollton High School.
April 21 – From Garden to Table – Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau shares an invite to this event exploring the good and bad of organic gardening, how to preserve fruits and vegetable, heirloom tomatoes and the growing scene in the greater Cleveland area.
April 25 – May 23 – Spring lecture series at Spicy Lamb Farm – Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau shares details on the free spring lecture series at a Cuyahoga Valley National Park farm dedicated to educating the public on the critical need for local, sustainable farming and environmental stewardship.
April 26 – Jefferson County Farm Bureau invites members and friends to relax, socialize and share the evening as it hosts its biennial Rural Urban Soiree’ at Zalenski’s Family Eatery in Wintersville. Reservations due by April 19.
April 28-29 – Fabulous Food Show, Cleveland – Visit Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau at the Spring Fabulous Food Show to get tips on grilling, meat cuts and local foods just in time for summers. Special gifts and offers for Ohio Farm Bureau members.
May 3 – Pickaway County Farm Bureau and the Rhoads Garden Center team up for an interactive session “All About Herbs.” Participants will learn helpful tips for growing and cooking herbs and sample recipes featuring a variety of common herbs and get ideas for new recipes. RSVP by April 30.
May – October – Preble County Farm Bureau Grow It Know It Series – Preble County Farm Bureau continues its “Lost Art Series” with a session on canning and preserving on May 12. Various other sessions run through October.
June 21 – Join Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureaus for a Healthy Heartland Screening event. Get more than a $300-value worth of comprehensive health screening for just $75 for Ohio Farm Bureau members.
June 22-25 – Ohio Leadership Youth Conference – Many county Farm Bureaus are sharing the opportunity for local youths to attend this leadership conference hosted by the Ohio FFA Association and Ohio Farm Bureau. Registration deadline is June 5.
July 14 – Sign up early to get in on Muskingum County Soil &Water Conservation District’s ATV Conservation Tour.
OTHER LOCAL FARM BUREAU OPPORTUNITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Animals for Life focuses on the many ways humans and animals are interdependent, says Farm Bureau member John Parker in this blog post from Ashtabula, Geauga, Lake and Trumbull County Farm Bureaus.
- Auglaize County Farm Bureau member Lou Brown and family is featured in the most recent issue of Our Ohio magazine.
- Auglaize County Farm Bureau shares how it celebrated National FFA Week by working together with FFA Chapters to help those in need.
- Darke County Farm Bureau is helping the Greenville Farmers Market find more vendors for the 2012 season starting in June.
- Fayette County Farm Bureau reminds members about the new Farmers Guide to Ohio Trucking Rules and Regulations being produced and distributed by Ohio Farm Bureau.
- Lorain County Farm Bureau is offering discounts and coupons for members at Slow & Easy Alpaca Farm and Locke’s Garden Center.
- Marion County hog farmers are sharing the story of the life of a pig on their farm, from birth to market, in this year’s Follow Farming project. Get updates on the Follow Farming blog, Facebook Page, Twitter account and YouTube channel.
- Medina County Farm Bureau shares how local farm business Gerber’s Poultry is featured in the most recent Our Ohio magazine.
- Mercer County Farm Bureau thanks those who made its recent “Through the Lens” public photo art project a success in celebration of National Agriculture Week.
- Monroe County Farm Bureau reminds Farm Bureau members in eastern Ohio about the opportunity to join together on 5-day Caribbean Cruise Jan. 7-11.
- Farm Bureau members in southern Ohio are also taking a Caribbean cruise this year on Dec. 9-15. Clark County reminds all members to check out how they can be on the ship when it sets out on its voyage.
- Perry County Farm Bureau reminds all Ohio Farm Bureau members to check out and apply for Ohio Farm Bureau’s Agricultural Advocacy Training Program – AgriPOWER Institute. Applications due May 18.
- Pickaway County Farm Bureau provides a recap of its recently-held policy development breakfast.
- See how Shelby County Farm Bureau partnered with the Shelby Soil & Water Conservation District to celebrate National Agriculture Week at a local Kroger store.
- Washington County Farm Bureau shares its local agriculture calendar for the month of April.
IS YOUR COUNTY FARM BUREAU ON FACEBOOK?
Visit your county Farm Bureau's blog for more updates and to LIKE them on Facebook.