News & Events
You might also like
- Top Ohio farm photos of the week
- Talking water issues with Congress, U.S. EPA
- Farmers testify in support of agritourism bill
- Dozens of fertilizer, pesticide certification classes now offered
- Bid now on great Foundation auction items
May 2012 County Farm Bureau Round-Up
The warmer weather means fields and gardens are being planted, and Ohio’s county Farm Bureaus are gearing up for a summer full of activities. Here’s a look at current and future events and opportunities being shared by our county Farm Bureaus this month.
Click the underlined link with each opportunity for further details and information.
The following opportunities are open to Ohio Farm Bureau members, no matter where you live in the state.
AgriPOWER Institute is Ohio’s premier agricultural advocacy training program, training leaders in all levels of advocacy, leadership and personal development. Applications are being accepted for the fifth AgriPOWER class through May 18.
June 22-25: Ohio FFA/Farm Bureau Youth Leadership Camp - Ohio Farm Bureau is teaming up once again to offer Ohio ag youths leadership and personal development opportunities during this camp, held June 22-25 at Ohio FFA Camp Muskingum.
- Putnam County Farm Bureau is currently offering a scholarship for a local youth to attend this Leadership Camp.
“How Did That Get in My Lunch Box?” -- The 2012 Ohio Farm Bureau Children’s Literature Award-winning book is now available for order through your local Farm Bureau.
“Agriculture is COOL” - a statewide agricultural experience for Ohio fourth-graders, returns to the Ohio State Fair again in 2012. Check out the opportunities available this year, including: Free admission to the state fair for fourth-graders and one parent or guardian; Scholarship opportunities; Grant opportunities for fourth-grade teachers.
June 22: Ohio Farm Bureau Blogging Workshop - Farm Bureau members interested in blogging, who have just started blogging, and even those looking to share advanced blogging strategies are invited to attend Ohio Farm Bureau’s blogging workshop to be held June 22.This full-day workshop will feature many top Ohio and national agriculture bloggers collaborating and learning from one another. Attendees will take home many new ideas, tactics and strategies for starting, improving and increasing the value and reach of their blogs.
YOUNG AG PROFESSIONALS OPPORTUNITIES
Ohio Farm Bureau’s Young Agricultural Professionals Advisory Team is on the lookout for more enthusiastic young professionals to lead the way. Learn what the team is all about and how to apply.
The program is also accepting applicants for its Discussion Meet contest, Excellence in Agriculture, and Outstanding Young Farmer Contests. The state winner in each will receive many great prizes and an expense-paid trip to compete at the national competition in Nashville, Tenn.
Like Ohio Farm Bureau’s Young Agricultural Professionals on Facebook to keep up with the latest updates and opportunities.
COUNTY FARM BUREAU SCHOLARSHIPS
Some county Farm Bureaus are still accepting applications for this year’s round of local scholarships. Get applications and more with each county link below, which is posted along with their respective application deadlines.
Knox County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31
OIL & GAS EXPLORATION/LEASING INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS
As oil and gas exploration continues to move from east to west across the state, farmers and landowners are learning what they need to know before being approached about leasing land for this purpose. Here’s a list of upcoming informational meetings where you can learn more.
COUNTY FARM BUREAU CALENDAR OF EVENTS/ACTIVITIES
Here’s a run-down of local events by date.
May 12 - Learn all about canning and food preservation in this Grow It. Know It. seminar offered as part of a summer-long series through Preble County Farm Bureau.
May 14 - Mingle with the Columbus Zoo’s Jungle Jack Hanna at this Belmont County Soil and Water Conservation District Watershed Rally
May 16 - Belmont County Farm Bureau offers this “Elder Fraud” event to its more mature members to help them stay safe if scams target them.
May 17 - Auglaize County Farm Bureau hosts its second Safety Day Camp for Minster and New Bremen fifth-graders.
May 19 - Cuyahoga County shares details on the second annual Greater Cleveland Beekeepers Asosciation Honeybee Conference and Field Event.
May 19 - Belmont County Farm Bureau invites folks to the Barnesville FFA’s Hoot ‘n Holler Community Fun Day.
May 27 - Learn some tips on staying safe and keeping your horse out of harms way while on the trail during at this session presented by the Cleveland Metroparks Rangers.
June & July - Paulding and Van Wert County Farm Bureaus are teaming up to offer a local “Ag Business 101” course during the summer months.
June 5 - Join Defiance, Fulton, Henry and Williams County Farm Bureaus as they take a bus trip to Shipshewana, Ind. to take in the Amish culture, shopping and flea market.
June 9 - July 1 - Check out “Farm Fest: The Science of Moo” at the Imagination Station in Toledo this summer. Enjoy animals, farm equipment, plants, produce and children’s activities, brought to you by Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood county Farm Bureaus and partners.
June 14 - Delaware County Farm Bureau’s summer bus trip will take members for a ride on canal boats, and take in lunch, shopping and a flea market at the Hartville Kitchen, Marketplace and flea market. RSVP deadline is May 29.
June 16 - Have breakfast on the farm in Plain City with Madison County Farm Bureau.
June 21 - Take a behind the scenes tour of Farm Bureau member Duke Wheeler’s diverse farm in Whitehouse and have dinner on the farm featuring locally grown foods. Get the scoop on this Grow & Know event.
June 21 - One man’s trash is another man’s garden! Learn about trash gardening at this unique Cuyahoga County workshop.
June 22 - It’s Farm Bureau Night with the Toledo Mud Hens! Cheer on the home team with your Farm Bureau friends. Check out how to RSVP and get your tickets.
June 26-28 - Logan County Farm Bureau’s “Connections” tour will bring the community together to check out local farms and conservation efforts. Learn more about the tour and how you can attend.
July 7 - Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau’s Equine Advisory Committee is putting on a fun horse show at the county fairgrounds. Proceeds from the show will benefit the Cleveland Mounted Police Unit, and help purchase more horses for its use.
July 13 - New members of the Montgomery Farm Bureau are invited to a new member dinner, ice cream social and a night of fellowship, swimming and music.
July 18 - It’s Farm Bureau Night with the Dayton Dragons! Check out how you can reserve tickets to root for the home team with Farm Bureau.
July 22 - Ross County Farm Bureau invites the public to its Progressive Farm Dinner, which will feature a four-course meal consisting of travels to four local farms. Look for a fun “Amazing Race” game feature during the event, too! Ross County Farm Bureau is also looking for more local farmers, food and more to share with event attendees.
Aug. 25 - Join Delaware, Franklin, Madison and Union County Farm Bureaus for a night with the Columbus Crew soccer team.
MORE COUNTY HAPPENINGS
- Carroll County Farm Bureau features local Farm Bureau member benefits at the Carrollton Dairy Queen, Ponderosa and Margi’s DogHouse.
- Coshocton County Farm Bureau shares the results of its recent elementary school Ag Bag contest.
- Check out the experiences gained by Washington Park students, who recently had the opportunity to intern on a Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau member’s alpaca farm.
- Delaware County Farm Bureau members interested in taking a leading role in the events and activities of the county Farm Bureau are invited to get involved on the county Farm Bureau board of trustees.
- According to Fairfield and Hocking County Farm Bureaus, their annual Ag Days was a big hit in April.
- Franklin County Farm Bureau seeks members who would like to volunteer to help with a variety of different aspects of county programming and communications.
- Franklin County Farm Bureau will be giving away a freezer of meat to one lucky participant who attends and registers at a series of summer events. Check out how you can get in on the giveaway.
- Congratulations also goes out to Lawrence County Farm Bureau’s Linda Fuller, winner of a regional Farm Bureau member Caribbean Cruise due to her leadership in local Farm Bureau membership activities.
- Licking County Farm Bureau offers a Farm Bureau member Buy One Get One Free deal at Cider House Hostas throughout the month of May.
- Happy Birthday wishes go out to Mahoning County Farm Bureau member Earla Smith, who will turn 104 this month. Smith is a charter member of Ohio Farm Bureau.
- Mahoning County Farm Bureau member Henry Nemenz has received the Ohio Grocers Association Pinnacle Award.
- Shelby County Farm Bureau took time to share how it celebrated Earth Day 2012.
- Shelby County Farm Bureau’s Salad Project is underway for 2012. Learn how local elementary students are growing their own greens and veggies that they’ll use in a salad party at the end of the school year.
- Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau is featuring local Farm Bureau member benefits this month at Park Street Pizza, Yoder’s HomeTown Market and Trax Diner.
ANNUAL MEETINGS & POLICY DEVELOPMENT
This is the time of the year most county Farm Bureaus start scheduling their annual meetings and preparing for contributions to the organization’s policy development process. Take a look at how Ohio Farm Bureau’s grassroots public policy process works, and check out the opportunities below where you can get involved.
Seneca County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 13
Visit the Ohio Farm Bureau Events calendar for more events and activities
Visit your county Farm Bureau blog to get the latest updates, and to LIKE your county Farm Bureau’s Facebook Page (if available).
Farm Bureau members, sign up to receive regular news and updates in your email through the weekly Buckeye Farm eNews (membership ID number required).
See where you can save locally through the latest coupon offers from the Our Ohio Buying Local program.