News & Events
You might also like
- OFBF continues to focus on water issues
- Four things you need to know from the 2014 AgChat Conference
- Connecting and network developing
- Learning where to find the answers
- Learning to be more proactive for agriculture
July 2012 County Farm Bureau Round-up
The dry weather and heat continues this summer, but that doesn’t mean the opportunities to get involved with Ohio agriculture have dried up! Check out the latest list of activities, opportunities, events and more happening within county Farm Bureaus throughout the state.
Click the links attached with each listing for details.
Take the Ohio Drought Survey
Check out Ohio Farm Bureau’s Ohio Drought Resources Page, where farmers can provide input on how the 2012 drought is affecting them in a quick online survey. Information collected via the survey will help Ohio Farm Bureau better represent its members on drought-related matters, and provide valuable insight on other ways the organization can help its members in this situation.
Win a Truck!
Every Ohio Farm Bureau member has a chance to win a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD Extended Cab pickup truck through the “Every Member Sign a Member” sweepstakes, running through Aug. 15! Other great prizes are available, including a lifetime Ohio Farm Bureau membership, a $1,000 Nationwide 12-month CD, a 6500 Watt Portable Generator from Grainger, a $500 Sherwin Williams Gift Card, a “New iPad,” and Four Suite Tickets to an Ohio State University Football game. Visit the sweepstakes page for all the details, rules, eligibility requirements and to enter.
Vote for your County Farm Bureau at the Ohio State Fair!
Visiting the Ohio State Fair this summer? Don’t forget to stop by Ohio Farm Bureau “Land and Living” exhibit in the Nationwide Donahey Ag & Hort Building. In addition to agriculture fun for the entire family, you’ll have a chance to vote for your county Farm Bureau’s planter in this year’s Farm Bureau horticulture contest.
County Farm Bureau Events/Activites Calendar
Through July 31 - Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureaus invite everybody to check out “Farm Fest” at the Imagination Station in Toledo throughout the month of July.
July 18 - Help agriculture lead the way in protecting Ohio’s valuable water resources at this agriculture and water quality meeting in Marion County.
July 18 - It’s Farm Bureau night with the Dayton Dragons minor league baseball team.
July 20 - Come visit the Guernsey County Farm Bureau during the Cambridge farmers market to learn more about the organization and benefits of membership
July 21 - Come fill a truck for the hungry at Huron County Farm Bureau’s “Cans for Community” member-appreciation event.
July 21 - “Fast food from the farm” - Is it possible? Find out at this Clinton County Farm Bureau event
July 22 - Enjoy ice cream during the Clark County Fair, courtesy of the Clark County Farm Bureau
July 22 - Enjoy a four-course meal on four different local farms during Ross County Farm Bureau’s “Farm Factor” progressive farm dinner
July 23 - Clark County Farm Bureau members are invited to an informational meeting on the proposed Global Impact STEM school; how it came about, planning, funding, and what the school holds for the future of agriculture education in Clark and surrounding counties.
July 26 - Ohio’s Current Agricultural Use Valuation (CAUV) law has been protecting farmers from unrealistic real estate values since 1975. Come learn why CAUV rates have noticeably increased and get questions answered at this Belmont County CAUV meeting.
July 27 - Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau invites you on its annual bus trip to the Ohio State Fair.
July 27 - Join Butler County Farm Bureau’s family fun day at the Butler County Fair
July 27- Bring your dancin’ boots to the Ohio State Fair for Ohio Farm Bureau’s annual Youth Square Dance from 7-10 p.m. at the Rhodes West Auditorium.
July 28 - Learn about farm safety for the whole family at this free Mahoning County family safety day at Deerfield Farms.
July 29 - Enjoy a gourmet meal from local farm ingredients and prepared by a local chef at White House Fruit Farm at Mahoning County Farm Bureau’s Farm-to-Fork gourmet dinner. Guests will also get to tour the farm. All proceeds benefit the United Way of Youngstown and Mahoning Valley.
July 31 - Ohio’s Current Agricultural Use Valuation (CAUV) law has been protecting farmers from unrealistic real estate values since 1975. Come learn why CAUV rates have noticeably increased and get questions answered at this Williams County CAUV Meeting.
July 31 - Youths ages 5-12 are invited to a day of interactive farm safety demonstrations/station, outdoor fun, prizes and refreshments at the Hirsch Fruit Farm during Ross County Farm Bureau’s Farm Safety Day Camp.
Aug. 3-4 - Learn how to get discount tickets to the Vintage Ohio Wine Festival being held on this weekend.
Aug. 4 - FARM Rescue training in Huron County will feature training on farm hazards, including grain entrapment, extrication and more. Register by July 31.
Aug. 11 - Enjoy a seven-course harvest dinner featuring food and wine produced by local farmers and prepared by local chefs in Geauga County. Proceeds donated to the Western Reserve Land Conservancy. Register by Aug. 1.
Aug. 11 - It’s a pool party! Come join Delaware County for its ‘Last Splash of Summer’ event
Aug. 13 - Clark County Farm Bureau partners with the United Way to create this Ag Day for Inner-City youth, and is looking for local farmers and agriculture-related businesses to help.
Aug. 13-24 - Recycle your old farm tires at this limited-time Ohio event.
Aug. 16 - Butler and Hamilton County Farm Bureaus announces annual Farm Bureau Day at Stricker’s Amusement Park
Aug. 16 - Jefferson County Farm Bureau’s Cupcake Wars are set to take place. Register to participate by Aug. 1.
Aug. 16 - Medina County Farm Bureau brings back its very successful ‘Celebrate Season’s Harvest’ event, featuring local farmers and chefs and the opportunity to dine on a farm, all the name of charity.
Aug. 24-26 - Miami County Farm Bureau invites all Ohio Farm Bureau members to a weekend of camping
Aug. 25 - Come enjoy a tailgate party hosted by Farm Bureau members, support the Animals for Life Foundation, and take in a Columbus Crew soccer match.
Aug. 25 - Union County Farm Bureau hosts its first-ever Farmers CARE breakfast
Aug. 30 - Miami County Farm Bureau hosts its 8th Annual All Ag Banquet
Sept. 14 - Join Wyandot County Farm Bureau for its annual Family Fun Night at the Wyandot County Fair.
Sept. 15 - Experience agriculture up close during Hancock County Farm Bureau’s Farm Tour
Sept. 26 - Ohio’s Current Agricultural Use Valuation (CAUV) law has been protecting farmers from unrealistic real estate values since 1975. Come learn why CAUV rates have noticeably increased and get questions answered at this Warren County CAUV meeting.
Farm Bureau Scholarships
Most county Farm Bureaus have announced their local scholarship winners for the year, but there are still a few opportunities out there for local students pursuing an agriculture-related degree. Click the links below for all the details!
- New scholarship winners have been announced in Delaware, Hancock, Hardin, Preble andSeneca counties this month.
Scholarships still available include:
- Darke County Farm Bureau Scholarship - Deadline July 26
- Clark County Farm Bureau Scholarship - Deadline July 26
Oil and Gas Meetings
Oil and gas exploration continues to be a hot topic across the state, here’s a list of local meetings where Farm Bureau members and local residents can learn more about what they need to know.
- Ottawa County Oil and Gas Informational Meeting- July 17
- Summit County Oil and Gas Informational Meeting - July 18
- Harrison County Oil and Gas Informational Meeting - Aug. 29
More County Farm Bureau happenings
- Columbiana, Portage, Stark and Summit County Farm Bureau members report from their tour to Indiana’s Fair Oak Farms to celebrate National Dairy Month.
- Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau highlights Fresh Fork Market in this update.
- A workshop on ‘Trash Gardening’ has helped create a new competition at the Cuyahoga County Fair.
- Defiance County offers this limited-time Sherwin Williams member discount through Aug. 31.
- Win a freezer of meat from local farmers through Franklin County Farm Bureau’s summer events!
- Fayette County Farm Bureau highlights local Bluegrass Farms
- Fulton County Farm Bureau offers a new local “Buy One, Get One Free” member benefit with Sauder’s Village.
- Gallia County Farm Bureau is currently offering collectible Bob Evans Farm Fest Baskets.
- Hancock, Hardin, Seneca and Wyandot County Farm Bureaus get the latest from County Office Administrator Donna Morter.
- Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureaus now offer an electronic newsletter for their members. Sign up to start receiving your county Farm Bureau’s e-newsletter here.
- Check out the latest from Miami County Farm Bureau in its summer newsletter.
- Pickaway County Farm Bureau shares details about a local farmers market.
- Seneca County Farm Bureau member Charles Fry is caught in action, sharing agriculture with students at the county’s “Ag in Your Backyard” event.
- Seneca County Farm Bureau congratulates members for achievements in membership campaign work.
- Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau shares three new local benefits for members
- Check out Wyandot County Farm Bureau’s newly-elected board members in this photo.
Annual meetings and Policy Development meetings
This is the time of the year most county Farm Bureaus start scheduling their annual meetings and preparing for contributions to the organization’s policy development process. Take a look at how Ohio Farm Bureau’s grassroots public policy process works, and check out the opportunities below where you can get involved.
- Ashland County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 13
- Belmont County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 9
- Clinton County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 21
- Delaware County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 23
- Fairfield County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 19
- Fayette County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 14
- Greene County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 16
- Hancock County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 9
- Hardin County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 23
- Harrison County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 27
- Henry County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - July 24
- Hocking County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 21
- Jefferson County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 6
- Madison County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 8
- Marion County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 23
- Monroe County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 2
- Noble County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 10
- Perry County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 13
- Pickaway County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 27
- Ross County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 30
- Seneca County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 13
- Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 21
- Warren County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 22
- Wayne County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 6
- Williams County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 21
- Wyandot County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Aug. 19