News & Events
You might also like
- The Food Dialogues®: Toledo
- Media campaign highlights farmers’ efforts to improve water quality
- OFBF supports compensation adjustment for judges
- Status of Farm Bureau Priority Issues in Congress
- Opening global markets for Ohio farmers
February 2013 County Farm Bureau Round-up
Compiled by Dan Toland
There’s quite the list of opportunities across the state in this month’s County Farm Bureau Round-up. Scholarships are available, meetings on all sorts of key issues are being held, community breakfasts are being served, and more. Here’s the latest overview of what’s being shared on our county Farm Bureau blogs.
Click the link associated with each piece of content for further details.
Members-only web meetings and recordings available - Ohio Farm Bureau members are invited to attend (or watch recordings of) members-only web meetings on a variety of hot subjects in Ohio agriculture. Each meeting features subject matter experts answering members’ questions on issues. Click the links with each listing below for more information, or to watch or register to attend a meeting.
- Feb. 6 - Oil & Gas Issues
- March 20 - Pipeline Issues
- April 24 - Nutrient Management and Water Quality
Animals for Life Summit - March 20 - World renowned animal handling pioneer and subject of an HBO movie about her life, Dr. Temple Grandin, will headline the first ever Animals for Life Summit.The Animals For Life Summit will generate healthy discussion about the many facets of the human-animal bond. Other Summit discussions will highlight aspects of human-animal relationships that include the associations between human health and pet ownership and the special relationships that form between service dogs and owners. Click here for full details and to register to attend.
Students studying in agriculture or a related field are invited to apply for county Farm Bureau scholarships. Here’s the latest listing of scholarships available, along with their application deadlines.
- Adams County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Allen County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Ashland County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Belmont County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Brown County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Butler County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 29 deadline
- Carroll County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 1 deadline
- Clermont County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Columbiana County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 15 deadline
- Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Scholarship - June 15 deadline
- Defiance County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 5 deadline
- Fairfield County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Franklin County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Fulton County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 5 deadline
- Hamilton County Farm Bureau Scholarships - May 1 deadline
- Hancock County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Hardin County Farm Bureau Jane Ralston Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Hardin County Farm Bureau Walter Oates Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Henry County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 5 deadline
- Highland County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Hocking County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Jefferson County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 5 deadline
- Madison County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 28 deadline
- Medina County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Montgomery County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 30 deadline
- Paulding County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Perry County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Pickaway County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Portage County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 15 deadline
- Preble County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 19 deadline
- Putnam County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Ross County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Sandusky County Farm Bureau Scholarships - Deadline not listed
- Seneca County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Stark County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 15 deadline
- Summit County Farm Bureau Scholarship - March 1 deadline
- Union County Farm Bureau Scholarships - March 28 deadline
- Van Wert County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 1 deadline
- Wayne County Farm Bureau Scholarships - April 1 deadline
- Williams County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 5 deadline
HAVE CONVERSATIONS WITH EASE IN YOUR COUNTY - County Farm Bureaus invite farmers to learn how to have more constructive conversations about how food is produced, learn about what consumers want and help build trust and confidence in food, farming and agriculture. The Conversations with EASE program, developed by the U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance focuses on a simple formula for effective conversation: Engage, Acknowledge, Share, Earn Trust. Learn more by clicking the link on a training session listed near you below.
MORE COUNTY FARM BUREAU EVENTS
- Feb. 21 - Shelby County Energy Meeting: Shelby County Farm Bureau and Anna Young Farmers welcomes Ohio Farm Bureau’s Dale Arnold to speak on Alternative Energy Sources.
- Feb. 22 - Union County Farmers Focus Breakfast: Local farmers are invited to the breakfast to help the United Way reach out more effectively to the Union County agricultural community.
- Feb. 23 - Young Farmer Night at Perfect North Slopes - Go snow tubing with fellow local young ag professionals.
- Feb. 23 - Richland County Farm Bureau Farmers Share Breakfast: Richland County Farm Bureau partners with local farmers and FFA chapters to host a breakfast for the community. Donations (entrance cost for the full breakfast) will be given to local food pantries.
- Feb. 26 - Delaware County Young Ag Professionals Happy Hour: 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Brooklyn Heights Restaurant
- Feb. 26 - Hocking County Pipeline Easement Info Session: Hocking County business and community leaders, as well as interested residents are invited to this meeting facilitated by Ohio Farm Bureau’s Dale Arnold.
- Feb. 26 - Ashtabula, Geauga, Lake and Trumbull County Agriculture Stakeholder Meeting: Discussion to cover the Lake Erie Watershed.
- Feb. 28 - Richland County Community Energy Briefing: Ohio Farm Bureau staff will be a resource speaker at the Lucas Young Farmers/FFA Alumni Association meeting.
- March 5 - Belmont County Farm Bureau “Shale and You: A Financial Management Seminar for Landowners” - Open to public
- March 8 - Celebrate Wood County Ag Day with a Pancake Breakfast held at the Wood County Fairgrounds. Includes “Rules of the Road” presentation by Ohio Farm Bureau Director of Legal Education Leah Curtis.
- March 8 - Taste of Tusc: Sample wines from local wineries, foods, desserts, beers and more while enjoying music from the Harp Bros. Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau will be providing samples of Farmhouse Beef and Noodles.
- March 10 - Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Equine Advisory Committee Used Tack Sale
- March 12 - Belmont and Monroe County Farm Bureau Safety Seminar
- March 14 - Ross County Farmers Care Breakfast - Ross County Farm Bureau invites the community to come celebrate National Ag Day with a full breakfast for one dollar.
- March 16 - Marion Farmers CARE Breakfast: Join local farmers for a full breakfast. Cost of entry is a donation or a non-perishable food item. Donations and food items will be distributed to local food pantries.
- March 16 - Miami County Farmers Share Breakfast: Get a full breakfast for just 50 cents, courtesy of Miami County farmers. Bring three canned goods or box items to donate to local food pantries and receive a Farm Bureau reusable grocery bag.
- March 19 - Jefferson County Pipeline Easements Issues Briefing: A variety of interstate, intrastate and local oil and gas collection networks are being installed throughout Ohio. Learn the basics of creating an effective easement agreement across private property. Issues concerning financial compensation, natural resource conservation, repair/remediation and conditions where eminent domain provisions apply are presented.
- March 22 - Butler County Farm Bureau Legislative Development Meeting: Political leaders, county officials, business and community leaders, members and concerned citizens are invited to attend. This is one of the few meetings in the county where all of these representatives are toghether to take questions or hear concerns from members and the general public.
- April 6 - Backyard Composting & Rainwater Harvesting Workshop for Home Gardeners - Logan County Farm Bureau invites the community to this workshop taught by Logan County Master Gardeners. Participants receive a composting booklet and may purchase rain barrels and more.
- April 9 - Washington County Farm Bureau Energy Utility Choice Meeting: Ohio Farm Bureau’s Dale Arnold presents an informational session on making electric company choices to save money.
- April 19 - Guernsey, Noble County Farm Bureau Safety Seminar
- May 8 - “Growing and Cooking with Herbs” - Butler County Farm Bureau Grow & Know Event: Jody Boyd, greenhouse manager, will present simple growing methods for a variety of herbs in containers or home gardens. Attendees also will gain practical culinary skills of using herbs in the kitchen by Master Gardener Angela Lampe, including preserving herbs.
OTHER COUNTY FARM BUREAU NEWS
- Marion County Farm Bureau introduces its local leaders for the coming year.
- Auglaize, Logan, Mercer and Shelby County Farm Bureaus reminds farmers about the Ag-LINK Deposit program, which provides reduced-rate financing to Ohio farmers to help offset the high cost of annual operating funds. Applications are being accepted through March 13.
- Auglaize, Logan, Mercer, Shelby County Farm Bureaus also provides information to help farmers through the FSA Farm Loans process.
- Logan County Farm Bureau shares a link to the new Logan County Ag Council blog
- Athens, Gallia, Jackson-Vinton, Lawrence, Pike and Scioto County Farm Bureaus remind Farm Bureau members to use their Jackson Hewitt Tax Service benefit to save $35 on tax preparation this year.
- Gallia County Farm Bureau reports on the activities of their members at Ohio Farm Bureau’s Ag Day at the Capitol.
- Scioto County Farm Bureau also shares an update from local members at Ag Day at the Capitol.
- Gallia County Farm Bureau makes a donation to local FFA chapter
- Scioto County Farm Bureau introduces county president Wyatt Bates to readers.
- Southern Ohio Farm Bureau members should mark their calendars now for the annual Farm Bureau member-only cruise.
- Hamilton County Farm Bureau shares an update from their Top 25 recognition at the American Farm Bureau Annual Meeting in January.
- Trumbull County Farm Bureau highlights the efforts of dedicated volunteers Dominic and Diana Marchese.
- Carroll County Farm Bureau provides an update and recap on a new Oil & Gas Leasing information meeting recently held in the county.
- Guernsey County Farm Bureau recognizes Nationwide Agent Joseph Gildea for his support of Farm Bureau.