News & Events
You might also like
- Five questions to ask when approached about pipeline construction
- Newly formed Ohio State advisory team
- Workers’ comp billing system update, deadlines changing
- Board of Tax Appeals ruling that could affect you, input needed
- Ohio State Fair Land & Living Exhibit -- 2014 Schedule of Events
April 2013 County Farm Bureau Round-up
Compiled by Dan Toland
As spring heats up, farmers are hitting the fields, and county Farm Bureaus are gearing up for warm weather events and activities. Check out what’s being offered throughout the state in the coming weeks in this month’s County Farm Bureau Round-up.
Click the links associated with content below for details on each.
Live Web Events and Recordings available for members
Join Ohio Farm Bureau staff and other experts for exclusive members-only web meetings focusing on topics and issues of interest. The next meeting on April 24 (click here for details and to register) will focus on Nutrient Management/Water Quality, and will feature OFBF’s Larry Antosch, Joe Cornely and other experts. Members may also request recordings of past web events, including those on oil and gas exploration and leasing, pipeline easements and CAUV. Get details on all upcoming and past/recorded web events.
FFA and Ohio Farm Bureau Leadership Conference
Ohio Farm Bureau is once again teaming up with Ohio FFA to offer the Ohio Leadership Conference from June 21-24 at Camp Muskingum in Carrollton. Check out all the details in the attachments with this post.
Young Agricultural Professionals events and activities
Ohio Farm Bureau’s Young Agricultural Professionals are gearing up for an active summer and fall. Check out the new Summer Reach Out farm and family tours, learn how to attend their annual trip to Washington, D.C., find out how you can join the YAP Advisory Team; and check out how you can win big in annual Young Ag Professionals contests, all in this eNewsletter.
LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
A number of county Farm Bureaus still have a number of scholarships up for grabs for graduating high schoolers and college students. They are linked below with accompanying application deadlines.
- Coshocton County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Scholarship - June 15 deadline
- Fayette County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 15 deadline
- Greene County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 15 deadline
- Hamilton County Farm Bureau Scholarships - May 1 deadline
- Jackson-Vinton County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 15 deadline
- Knox County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Licking County Farm Bureau Scholarship- - May 31 deadline
- Logan County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 12 deadline
- Montgomery County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 12 deadline
- Muskingum County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Preble County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 19 deadline
- Scioto County Farm Bureau Scholarship - April 15 deadline
- Washington County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 1 deadline
COUNTY EVENTS CALENDAR
April 12-13 - Clearfork FFA and Richland County Soil & Water Conservation District annual tree sale.
April 19 - Guernsey County Farm Bureau Annual Pork Chop Dinner and Safety Seminar Purchase tickets by April 12.
April 20 - Join Belmont and Monroe County Farm Bureau and Monroe County Extension for the first of three classes on canning and food preservation. Attend one class or choose to attend others in June and October. Classes are limited, so registration is required.
April 29 - Captina Creek Watershed Rally - Belmont County Fairgrounds
May 3-4 - BBQ popularity has hit Tuscarawas County! Check out details on the Camp Meigs BBQ Bootcamp and Burnoff competition and fun, games, prizes and more during this two-day event. Proceeds to benefit Hospice of Tuscarawas County.
May 4 - Get ready for Mothers Day at this Clermont County Farm Bureau Grow and Know event at Jarman’s Greenhouse in Felicity. Attendees will create a potted plant for a Mothers Day gift and learn more about greenhouse operations and floral decor.
May 8 - Learn a variety of methods for growing and cooking herbs as Butler County Farm Bureau hosts this Grow & Know event at Brown’s Family Farm Market in Ross. RSVP by Friday, May 4.
May 14 - Animal Ag 203 - Farm Animal Handling for First Responders - Cattle and Sheep -Will help first responders gain a basic understanding of farm animal behavior and handling in order to be better prepared to respond in the face of an incident involving livestock. Includes hands-on activities with livestock.
May 22 - Animal Ag 203 - Farm Animal Handling for First Responders - Horses - Will help first responders gain a basic understanding of farm animal behavior and handling in order to be better prepared to respond in the face of an incident involving livestock. Includes hands-on activities with livestock.
June 8 - Have Breakfast on the Farm, meet farmers, live animals, compete in a scavenger hunt and more at the Kramer Homestead in Plain City, hosted by the Yutzy family and sponsored by the Franklin County Farm Bureau.
June 20 - Canning and Preserving Food Classes in Belmont and Monroe counties - Class 2.Registration required.
June 29 - Young Agricultural Professionals Summer Reach Out - Ohio Farm Bureau’s young Agricultural Professionals are hosting a Farm tour summer reach out. This family event will start at Deer Creek state Park and you will have the option to go on one of three tours.
HAVE CONVERSATIONS WITH EASE IN YOUR COUNTY
County Farm Bureaus invite farmers to learn how to have more constructive conversations about how food is produced, learn about what consumers want and help build trust and confidence in food, farming and agriculture. The Conversations with EASE program, developed by the U.S. Farmers & Ranchers Alliance focuses on a simple formula for effective conversation: Engage, Acknowledge, Share, Earn Trust. Learn more by clicking the link on a training session listed near you below.
MORE COUNTY FARM BUREAU NEWS
- Cuyahoga County Elementary Students will be incubating duck eggs as part of their Living Things science unit, thanks to a grant from Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau. Learn more about this project and view updates.
- Butler County Farm Bureau introduces us to local Nationwide Agent Greg Garver.
- Women in agriculture in and around Union County are asked to share their interest in a possible Annie’s Project class, on strengthening their role in agricultural business. An Extension Educator may host a course in the county if enough interest is generated and shared.
- Here’s a very cool story about Gallia County Farm Bureau President Paul Shoemaker.
- Read about Jefferson County Farm Bureau’s donation to support a local Farm-To-School program.
- Carroll County Farm Bureau is seeking nominations for its Outstanding Educator Award. Deadline for submission is June 15.
- Ashtabula County Farm Bureau member Kathy Smith shares why “Spring is the Season of the Optimist.”