News & Events
Ohio State Collegiate Young Farmers: Building agriculture leaders
by Kelly Fager
Coming to the Ohio State campus with more than 56,000 students, I wanted to find my fit in a club where I could get to know the members, make friends, make a difference and make memories. Collegiate Young Farmers (CYF) is a club where I have been able to find my fit. I personally believe in what CYF is doing, so I decided to take a leadership role in the coming school year as the Farm Bureau liaison officer.
Agriculture is continuously changing and as a student I feel it is my responsibility to be knowledgeable of what is happening. CYF continuously brings in guest speakers to help members learn more and provide networking opportunities, which is something I find very valuable. As an officer, I find this to be very important to continue because members are benefiting greatly from hearing from professionals. I want members to come to the meeting and leave knowing something new about agriculture.
Just like any organization, Collegiate Young Farmers is looking to reach new goals this year, set by the officer team. Our goals for the coming year include:
- One guest speaker a month to learn valuable information regarding the agriculture industry; Having members be more involved in Ohio Farm Bureau events and forming a closer connection with Ohio Farm Bureau;
- Host another Farm to Fork Food Dialogues event with increased attendance from both main campus and ag campus students to help connect the bridge between farmers and consumers;
- Have a leadership development trip to tour agriculture businesses throughout the United States, with more members involved;
- Hold social events and have more conversations among members to build friendships. Having networking opportunities and remaining a close-knit club is an important goal that the officers feel is necessary;
- Find fundraising opportunities to help fund club events and trip to build a solid foundation for the club;
- Increase membership to help more individuals learn about agriculture; and
- Have fun!
Collegiate Young Farmers club at Ohio State University is continuing to build leaders for the agriculture industry, and I am proud to be a part of it.
Read more about the recent Collegiate Young Farmers’ Farm to Fork Food Dialogue event in two blogs from adviser Darrell Rubel
- Farm to Fork Food Dialogue: A Feast for the Mind
- How Ohio State students made a difference and why you should care
‘Like’ Collegiate Young Farmers on Facebook to follow along with the group’s activities.
Follow Kelly on Twitter.
Kelly Fager is an Ohio State student majoring in agricultural communication, and is Ohio State Collegiate Young Farmers’ Farm Bureau Liaison.