News & Events
You might also like
- AgriPOWER opens doors
- Value from the people
- 2015 County Farm Bureau Presidents Trip to D.C.
- Farm Bureau supports new nutrient bill
- Ohio Farm Bureau's State Priority Issues for 2015
May 2013 County Farm Bureau Round-up
Compiled by Dan Toland
Farmers are in fields, neighbors are in gardens, and Ohio's county Farm Bureaus are gearing up for a summer full of activities. Catch up with what's happening this month.
Click links associate with each update for more details.
Web Events for Members: Ohio Farm Bureau continues to hold informative and interactive web events for members. Be sure to register for the May 29 event on “New Animal ID Requirements” Recent events include “Vegetable Gardening for Beginners” and “Nutrient Management and Water Quality.” Check out the Ohio Farm Bureau Web Events Page for more information on all upcoming events, and to request recordings of past events.
Young Agricultural Professionals Opportunities Abound: Individuals and couples ages 18-35 have many opportunities to participate in networking, socializing and rewarding contests and opportunities through Ohio Farm Bureau. Here’s a look at all this summer has to offer.
Ohio FFA Leadership Camp: Ohio Farm Bureau is encouraging members to consider the opportunities available to their young folks at the Ohio FFA Leadership Camp June 21-24.
- Butler County Farm Bureau announces multiple scholarship winners.
- Hancock County Farm Bureau awards scholarships to three students: Britta Fenstermaker, Michael Tong and Jacob Biery
- Hardin County Farm Bureau awards scholarship to Austin Eibling of Upper Scioto Valley High School.
More scholarships are still available click each below for details...
- Coshocton County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Scholarship - June 15 deadline
- Knox County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Licking County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
- Muskingum County Farm Bureau Scholarship - May 31 deadline
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
May 18 - In celebration of Historic Preservation Month, historic sites Bear's Mill with Staley Mill Farm and Indian Creek Distillery will initiate an innovative new fund-raising event on Saturday, May 4 and Saturday, May 18. “Mills and Stills” will feature informational tours of both sites plus food and music; additionally, the Gallery at Bear's Mill will be exhibiting watercolors of Staley Mill Farm created by the late Roger Haas plus new pottery created by four local clay artists that recalls the art of the whiskey vessel. Hours for the event are from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. both evenings.
May 20 - Learn about pipeline easements and how they’ll affect you and your property at this Pipeline Easements informational meeting in Barnesville.
May 21 - Fayette County Farm Bureau will be hosting an informative meeting concerning pipeline easement issues currently affecting Fayette County citizens. The briefing will be held at the Fayette Ag Center, 1415 US Highway 22 SW, Washington Court House, OH 43160 Tuesday, May 21 at 7:30 p.m. The program will be facilitated by Ohio Farm Bureau Federation (OFBF) Director for Energy, Utility and Local Government Issues, Dale Arnold.
May 23 - Join Union County Farm Bureau for a this Strawberry Picking, Wine Tasting Grow & Know Event.
June 1 - Enjoy a delicious pork chop and learn the ABCs of preparing meet at Morgan County Farm Bureau’s Pork Chop BBQ. Registrations due May 24.
June 8 - Have Breakfast on the Farm, meet farmers, live animals, compete in a scavenger hunt and more at the Kramer Homestead in Plain City, hosted by the Yutzy family and sponsored by the Franklin County Farm Bureau.
June 12 - The Farm Bureau Womens Committee of Darke County is hosting a tour of the Andersons Ethanol Plant in Greenville.
June 15 through September - Join Clinton County Farm Bureau and the Clinton County Farmers Market for Fast Food from the Farm, a monthly series of local foods cooking demonstrations beginning June 15 and the third Saturday of each month through September. The events will run from 9 a.m. to noon.
June 18 - Central Ohio Conversation with E.A.S.E. program at Der Dutchman in Plain City.
June 20 - Hardin County Farm Bureau Summer Party to feature ice cream, cookies, door prizes, BINGO, and more, with prizes to be awarded.
June 20 - Canning and Preserving Food Classes in Belmont and Monroe counties. Registration required.
June 21 - It’s the annual Farm Bureau Night with the Toledo Mud Hens. Click here for more details to come.
June 21-24 - Ohio FFA Leadership Camp
June 25-27 - Shelby County Fish & Game Club in Sidney will be the site of the 2013 Conservation Day Camp. Each day you will learn about the world around us and why it is important to take care of our world! Activities include Forging a Trail, Animal Habitat, Archery, Fishing, Tie-Dye T-Shirts and much more! Registration deadline is May 24.
June 29 - Recycle your Farm Tires at this Delaware-Knox-Marion-Morrow County event.
July 7 - Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau hosts its annual benefit fun horse show at the Lewis Road Riding Ring Show Grounds in the Cleveland Metroparks - Rocky River Reservation.
Aug. 3 - Prepare to preserve what you’re growing in your garden or picking up at the local Farmers Market during this “Preserve What You Grow” event from Shelby County Farm Bureau.
Aug. 9 - Celebrate the diversity of local agriculture with an on-the-farm dinner hosted by Fairfield County Farm Bureau, featuring all locally produced foods. Registration is limited.
Sept. 14 - Help Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Equine Advisory support and assist the Cleveland Mounted Police Unit at this fundraiser.
Sept. 14 - Join Marion County Farm Bureau as it agains hosts the 4-mile Harvest Hustle -- which will benefit local food pantries and the marion Area Humane Society.
View more events on the OFBF.org Event Calendar
MORE NEWS & OPPORTUNITIES
- “Are you the face of Farm Bureau?” asks Organization Director Darren Frank, who also shares the many ways to get involved with your local Farm Bureau.
- Northeast Ohio fruit and grape growers are hoping for a good crop this fall.
- Ashtabula County’s Kathy Smith reminisces on the importance of 4-H -- yesterday, today and tomorrow.
- Athens County Farm Bureau highlights a couple of its local Nationwide Insurance agentson its county page, as does Gallia County, Pike County and Scioto County
- Butler County Farm Bureau shares an informative recap of its Growing and Cooking with Herbs event, including growing and cooking techniques.
- Carroll County Farm Bureau seeks nominations for its Outstanding Educator Award, given to a county teacher who uses agriculture in their curriculum throughout the school year. Nominations due by June 15.
- Clark County Farm Bureau lets us know that the Global Impact STEM Academy is now taking applications for students looking to attend.
- Clermont County Farm Bureau updates southern Ohio Farm Bureau members on a new Farm Bureau cruise opportunity.
- Delaware County Farm Bureau seeks volunteers to assist with the county’s 4th of July parade, including parade line-up, registrations, and passing out bottled water to entrants.
- A picture and recap from Geauga County Farm Bureau’s recently held Current Issues Luncheon.
- Three Hancock County Farm Bureau members have been recognized for prestigious membership contributions. County Farm Bureau members/volunteers are also donating time and money in a “CAUTION...Farm Machinery” sign replacement project, have struck apartnership with Hancock Historical Museum, and donated 314 pounds of ground beeffrom a local member’s farm to City Mission.
- Hardin County Farm Bureau shares this list of free public farm tours throughout the state in 2013.
- Henry County Farm Bureau is accepting nominations for the Henry County Agriculture Hall of Fame.
- Jefferson County Farm Bureau’s May Ellen Grafton recently hosted an Agriculture Scavenger Hunt at Jefferson County Christian School.
- Lawrence County Farm Bureau is looking for help from members to support the Ironton Farmers Market, and also had a group of county leaders host a kitchen full of eager students learning how to make tacos, including canning tomatoes.
- Marion County Farm Bureau names its new slate of leaders for the coming year.
- Preble County Farm Bureau reminds drivers to use caution today and every day, especially with farm equipment on the roads.
- Seneca County Farm Bureau’s Carl Miller recognized for outstanding membership work.
- Wyandot County Farm Bureau shares a recap from its recent Conversation with EASE program, and announces Kayla Weaver is a finalist in the 2013 Ohio Farm Bureau Young Agricultural Professionals Discussion Meet.
View all County Farm Bureau Pages on OFBF.org