News & Events
You might also like
- Stepping out of our comfort zone - AgriPOWER Class VII Session 1 blog
- Understanding of why we do things the way that we do - AgriPOWER session 1 blog
- Farm Bureau part of successful grain storage bin case
- 12 Receive Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Foundation Scholarships
- Farm Bureau opposes marijuana measure
Senate passes immigration bill
by Yvonne Lesicko
Yesterday the U.S. Senate approved Senate Bill (SB) 744, the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act with a vote of 68 to 32. Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown voted yes on the bill, and Sen. Rob Portman voted no.
Ohio Farm Bureau strongly supported the bill, including the agricultural provisions which were the result of a compromise agreement with the United Farmworkers Union.
The approval of SB 744 is the first step in reforming a broken immigration system and ensuring agriculture has access to a stable and legal workforce. Farm Bureau now looks forward to working with members in the House of Representative to pass responsible immigration reform legislation that includes an earned adjustment for experienced undocumented agricultural workers and a new, flexible guestworker program. It is critical that both chambers pass legislation that can be reconciled in conference and signed into law.
Yvonne Lesicko is senior director of legislative and regulatory policy for Ohio Farm Bureau.