News & Events
You might also like
- Stepping out of our comfort zone - AgriPOWER Class VII Session 1 blog
- Understanding of why we do things the way that we do - AgriPOWER session 1 blog
- Farm Bureau part of successful grain storage bin case
- 12 Receive Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Foundation Scholarships
- Farm Bureau opposes marijuana measure
Learning How to Preserve the Food You Grow
by Janet Cassidy
Ohio Farm Bureau recently held an online food preservation meeting discussing freezing and water bath techniques. Joining me during the meeting was Linnette Goard, food specialist, food safety, Ohio State University Extension.
As an enthusiastic home canner, I’m always up for a conversation on food preservation. But you may wonder why Farm Bureau, an organization known for its policy development process, held a meeting on home canning? As it turns out, people are really interested in learning how to preserve food. I mean, home canning is HOT! (Pun intended.) And members have expressed an interest in learning more about how to preserve the food they grow.
I enjoyed visiting with Linnette and sharing our conversation with attendees. For many participants, the event was their first interaction with Farm Bureau.
I’m excited that Farm Bureau wants to engage more members with topics that are important to them. That's why we’ve developed two new online communities around food where participants can find answers to their questions, talk with other enthusiasts and share ideas (including online meeting suggestions). You can check out these groups by visiting the Our Ohio Gardening Group and the Our Ohio Cooking Group to join in the conversation.
Test your food preservation IQ
During the event, participants were able to ask questions. Here’s a few of the most common:
- How do I know if a recipe is safe?
- I have a favorite spaghetti sauce recipe. How do I preserve it?
- Which foods can be safely processed in a water bath canner? Which should be processed in a pressure canner?
- Do you need to blanch foods before freezing?
- How long can I safely store preserved foods?
Think you know the answers? Find out by watching the recording of our online meeting below!
Janet Cassidy is senior director of marketing communications for Ohio Farm Bureau.