News & Events
You might also like
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
- Transition Planning and Social Security Benefits
Comment period extended for Food Safety Modernization Act rules
by Callie Wells
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the comment period to Nov. 15 for the produce safety rule and the preventive controls for human food rule which implement the Food Safety Modernization Act.
Ohio Farm Bureau is in the process of drafting comments and is interested in membersí concerns regarding these proposed rules.
The extension allows for coordinated review with two of the remaining rules that form the inter-related, "risk-based framework." FDA also released for comment rules covering the foreign Supplier Verification Program and the Accreditation of Third Party Auditors, which will be used to ensure imported produce is also in compliance with food safety rules.
FDA announced that this will be the final extension of the comment period.
For more information
Learn what Our Ohio readers had to say about the produce safety rules.
Tell us what you think about produce safety.
Read about the†comments on the proposed FDA Rules given by an Ohio farmer at a FDA hearing earlier this year.
Callie Wells is a communications specialist for Ohio Farm Bureau.