News & Events
You might also like
- How deer damage permit changes will affect farmers
- Why should you join AgriPOWER? My top six reasons to apply
- AgriPOWER: Springboard to involvement, change
- How CAUV’s formula is changing
- Ohio Farm Bureau makes new CAUV formula suggestions to tax department
Agriculture really is cool!
by Sandy Kuhn
Showing school kids where their food comes from is very important, but few teachers have expertise in agriculture, and it is tough to fund field trips and other learning opportunities. This is where the Ag Is Cool program can help.
Ag Is Cool is a program at the Ohio State Fair where exciting interactive stations, such as the opportunity to milk a life-like cow, are available for kids to experience. The program has several great ways to participate before and during the Ohio State Fair:
- Ag Is Cool for fourth graders: To see what makes agriculture cool, students in the fourth grade and a chaperone could attend the state fair for free. Participants also had the opportunity to win a $500 scholarship by writing an essay about what they learned at the fair.
- Ag Is Cool for teachers: Fourth grade teachers could register for free admission to the fair and the opportunity to win a field trip for their class.
- Ag Is Cool Creative Expression competition: Students K-12 flexed their imagination, and earned prizes, by creating agricultural-themed works of art, videos and more.
When coordinating Ohio Farm Bureau’s role in the Ag Is Cool program was added to my job earlier this year, I didn’t realize how much the program showed how cool agriculture is! I recently witnessed this while traveling with the Ag Is Cool “prize patrol,” the name we gave our sponsor group representatives who delivered prizes and attended a field trip. It was a fun two days watching very proud students, parents and teachers receive recognition for a job well done and share what they’d learned about agriculture.
Check out the photo album below to see photos from my travels with the ‘prize patrol.’
Learn more about the essay contest winners on the Ohio State Fair website.
Ag Is Cool is sponsored by Ohio’s agricultural organizations (Ohio Pork Producers Council, Ohio Cattlemen's Association, Ohio Sheep Improvement Association, Ohio Poultry Association, Ohio Corn and Small Grain Growers, Ohio Soybean Council, American Dairy Association, and the Ohio Agriculture Council), the Ohio Department of Agriculture, Ohio Farm Bureau Federation and the Ohio Expositions Commission.
Sandy Kuhn is the director of education and industry outreach for Ohio Farm Bureau.