News & Events
You might also like
- Ohio Farm Bureau's State Priority Issues for 2015
- Special CAUV meeting scheduled for March 5
- A look at Ohio’s property tax system
- Do your homework before applying for federal funds for renewable energy
- EPA director discusses clean water, oil and gas exploration
Ohio water research and resources
The harmful algal bloom issue in Lake Erie is complex, and many groups and institutions are working to understand all of the factors involved. Ohio’s agriculture community has been focusing on finding ways to keep nutrients in place on farms by preventing runoff. Below are a few resources to learn more about what is being done and can be done, plus other educational materials.
4R Nutrient Stewardship - The 4R philosophy is an innovative and science-based approach that offers enhanced environmental protection, increased production, increased farmer profitability, and improved sustainability. The concept is to use the right fertilizer source, at the right rate, at the right time, with the right placement.
OFBF nutrient management/water quality recorded Web meeting - Meeting covers what is happening to cause the harmful algal blooms, what needs to be done and agriculture’s role in addressing this issue.
OFBF nutrient management/water quality e-learning units
Ohio State research on phosphorus runoff - OARDC scientist Libby Dayton is working on the On-Field Ohio project, which seeks to revise the U.S. Department of Agriculture-Natural Resources Conservation Service Ohio Phosphorus Risk Index to be more precise in predicting the risk of phosphorus moving off farm fields.
Farmers, phosphorus and water quality - a descriptive report from Ohio State of beliefs, attitudes and practices in the Maumee Watershed in northwest Ohio.
OHWATER - efforts by Ohio farmers to improve water quality - Farmers are committed to accepting responsibility and acting responsibly regarding managing nutrients to enhance water quality. Use this site to keep track of what people are saying and doing about the issue.
‘Town Hall Ohio’ radio program on the topic of Lake Erie Water Quality
Meetings and educational events
- Manure Science Review, Aug. 14.
- Farm Bill informational meeting, Aug. 18, Wooster.
- Farm Bill informational meeting, Aug. 19, Defiance.
- Farm Bill informational meeting, Aug. 19, Wilmington.
- Farm Bill informational meeting, Sept. 16, London, at Farm Science Review.