News & Events
You might also like
- How deer damage permit changes will affect farmers
- Why should you join AgriPOWER? My top six reasons to apply
- AgriPOWER: Springboard to involvement, change
- How CAUVís formula is changing
- Ohio Farm Bureau makes new CAUV formula suggestions to tax department
Massive Carrot Harvest Feeds Ohio's Hungry
Watch the video to the left to learn more.
Local volunteers from county Farm Bureaus, Chambers of Commerce, home-school students, Soil and Water Conservation District personnel and others have come together just in time for the holiday season to help feed Ohio's hungry.
Volunteers in Swanton, Ohio mechanically harvested and hand packaged more than 180,000 pounds of fresh carrots from an unharvested 10-acre field owned by Ohio carrot farmer Tom O'Neill. O'Neill is a carrot farmer for Campbell's Soups.
With a good crop this year, there was excess left over, so O'Neill decided to put the carrots to good use. The carrots will be donated to 12 food banks around Ohio that are affiliated with the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Food Banks.
"It says farmers are willing to step up and do what they can to make sure there's food available throughout Ohio for the needy this fall," said Ohio Farm Bureau Organization Director Roy Norman.