News & Events
You might also like
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
- Transition Planning and Social Security Benefits
Buckeye Farm News
House bill contains vital tax provisions
American Farm Bureau sent a letter to U.S. House members asking for prompt passage of the American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act. This bill inlcudes extension of tax incentives for biodiesel and renewable diesel, five-year depreciation for farming machinery and equipment and a number of other tax deductions that farmers rely on to manage cash flow. Tax provisions that provide incentives to upgrade operations, donate food and preserve farmland are also key elements in the bill.
Child employment act could affect farm youth
Farm Bureau opposes a bill that eliminates exemptions in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and may prevent youth under 18 from working in agriculture unless employed by a parent or guardian on a farm owned or operated by a parent or guardian. Farm Bureau policy supports the current exemptions for all youth farm workers, in jobs that are safe and with parental consent. The bill could affect youth working in agriculture education, 4-H or cooperative education programs.