Policy & Politics
- Five questions to ask when approached about pipeline construction
- Newly formed Ohio State advisory team
- Workers’ comp billing system update, deadlines changing
- Board of Tax Appeals ruling that could affect you, input needed
- Ohio State Fair Land & Living Exhibit -- 2014 Schedule of Events
Vilsack Stands Up for Livestock Farms
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack defended the livestock industry against a lawmakerâ€™s allegations that crowded conditions and antibiotic usage in modern farms are endangering human health. Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.) told Vilsack at a House appropriations subcommittee hearing on Wednesday that livestock are â€śjammed togetherâ€ť in â€śvery, very nasty circumstances.â€ťÂ In response, Vilsack said the â€śvast, vast, vast majority of farmers who are raising livestock are very sensitiveâ€ť to the need to be careful about the management of their animals. â€śFirst and foremost, theyâ€™re concerned for the safety of their consumers. Without consumers, they don't have a market, and without a market they donâ€™t have money,â€ť Vilsack said.