Policy & Politics
- Congress extends tax breaks beneficial to farmers
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
Bob Gibbs to serve on agriculture, transportation committees
U.S. Rep.-elect Bob Gibbs, R-Lakeville, will sit on the Agriculture Committee and the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives next year.
The Agriculture Committee has jurisdiction over renewable energy, conservation, animal and plant health and agricultural research and development. The Transportation and Infrastructure Committee has jurisdiction over emergency management, roads and safety, transportation, pollution of navigable waters and public buildings. Gibbs served on similar committees in the state Legislature."I'm very pleased with my committee assignments, more specifically about the ability to make a positive impact on the 18th District as a member of those panels," Gibbs said in a statement. "As one of only a handful on the Agriculture Committee with a strong agricultural background, I will be able to use my experience to immediately impact the agenda and legislation before the committee."Gibbs defeated U.S. Rep. Zack Space, D-Dover, in November. He will represent 18 southeastern Ohio communities.