Policy & Politics
- Five questions to ask when approached about pipeline construction
- Newly formed Ohio State advisory team
- Workers’ comp billing system update, deadlines changing
- Board of Tax Appeals ruling that could affect you, input needed
- Ohio State Fair Land & Living Exhibit -- 2014 Schedule of Events
10 Percent Cut in Farm Supports Part of Commission Plan
On Wednesday, a 10 percent cut in farm support programs was proposed by an 18-member bipartisan commission intent on balancing the federal budget. A vote by the commission on the overall plan, which encompasses the entire federal government, is expected Friday. A net cut of $10 billion ($1.25 billion per year) through 2020 in Agriculture Department spending was proposed, with the reductions coming mainly from crop subsidy and land stewardship programs such as the Conservation Stewardship Program and the Environmental Quality Incentives Program. The Conservation Reserve Program was not singled out for a funding cut.