Policy & Politics
- Ohio Livestock Coalition accepting nominations for 'Neighbor of the Year' awards
- Ohio Agricultural Hall of Fame Inductees announced
- Ohio Congressional delegation involved in Farm Bill progress
- Itís half a ton, itís on the loose and it wants to run. Stay calm?
- Legal tips for all purpose vehicle use
Trade Matters - Take Action Now
TRADE MATTERS Ė Take Action Now
Farm Bureau needs your message in support of three Free Trade Agreements (FTAís) beneficial to agriculture.
$3 Billion in Additional Exports, Economic Development and Jobs.
Thatís what is gained once the Korea, Panama and Colombia Free Trade Agreements are implemented. But while the Administration and Congress delay action, current American agricultural market share is being cut by other countries. Inaction on the Korea, Colombia and Panama FTAs is resulting in lost agricultural market share and decreased U.S. competitiveness. Farm Bureau is pushing for a Congressional vote on all three trade agreements Ė and you can make sure we pass the trade agreements.
Itís becoming a matter of earning more money for your products Ö or losing a market altogether.
Support for these trade agreements is critical to Americaís farmers and ranchers.
Fundamentally, these agreements are about real economic benefits for your community. The U.S. market is largely open to imports from around the world, but other countries continue to slap steep tariffs on our exports. These agreements will create a level playing field for American farmers by eliminating the barriers U.S. exporters face in these three markets and increase your income.
Here are three important steps you can take to let our policymakers know Trade Matters:
1.† Access Ohio Farm Bureauís On-line Legislative Action Center to e-mail your U.S. Senators and Representative, USDA Secretary Vilsack and U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk to encourage their support of the Korea, Panama and Colombia Free Trade Agreements without any further delay.
2. Write a letter to the editor and send it to your local newspaper.† Sample letters to the editor are available online.
3. Discuss the importance of passing these important trade agreements with your U.S. Senators and Representative at district meetings or events in June and July or by calling their office.
SHARE THIS MESSAGE WITH OTHERS:
- Click the "Like" button at the end of this article to share this link with your Facebook Friends.
OTHER IMPORTANT RESOURCES:
For More Information Ė Please Contact:
Senior Director of National Affairs