Unmanned Aerial Vehicles or Unmanned Aerial Systems or “drone” technology is emerging in agriculture. They are used in military technology. Domestic uses of these aircraft are already underway and the Federal Aviation Administration is considering licenses for commercial use.
Policy & Politics
The Ohio Farm Bureau Federation (OFBF) and its members are a powerful voice on a variety of issues that affect everybody.
Ohio Farm Bureau members define the position our organization takes on a great number of issues affecting farmers and rural residents. These policy positions guide our legislative and regulatory action on these important issues. Use the links below to read our current policies, learn about our policy development process, or to submit a policy suggestion.
Policy Development Process/Flowchart (PDF Format)
Policy Development Discussion Sheets
The Renewable Fuels Standard mandates a target amount of ethanol/biofuels that must be introduced into our nation's transportation supply. Decreasing gasoline consumption and non-acceptance of a 15% ethanol blend create concern with future ability to meet the Renewable Fuels Standard.
The 2013 AFBF Annual Meeting approved new policy in support of only pasteurized milk/products being sold/distributed for human consumption. The major concern of raw milk is risk to public health. Six states dissented from AFBF policy. States have the authority to govern the sale of raw milk.
Agricultural companies are combining computer technology and outside analysts to provide farming data systems for a service fee. When farmers use mobile devices to access and store data related to this system, questions arise as to who owns the data and how it can be used.
The enforcement for laws regarding the Endangered Species Act has evolved drastically, as activists have resorted to the courts to drive policy decisions. A recent settlement with the US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) brings hundreds of changes on species listings. More lawsuits means less resources.
- Van Wert
- Explore new membership models for future strength
- Build Farm Bureau's financial base to better achieve our mission
- Grow membership through a comprehensive campaign that involves all members and partners
- Expand member contribution and engagement opportunities
- Partner to create excellent agricultural education programs
- Develop an organization model for the future that engages the entire food chain
- Advocate for Farm Bureau's priority issues
- Seek solutions to Ohio's water quality challenges
- Champion grassroots policy initiatives