Recent droughts have increased public awareness and federal policymakers' focus on flaws in today’s water storage and delivery systems.
Policy & Politics
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
- Transition Planning and Social Security Benefits
Ohio has constitutional amendment processes which allow citizens to vote directly to change Ohio’s constitution and laws. Recently we have seen an increase in ballot initiatives and referendums, which leads to many questions.
Since term limits have been enacted in Ohio and other states, the composition of the legislatures has remained largely the same regarding women and minorities. Critics argue legislators become less effective as they grow in experience.
Governor Kasich has introduced a proposal to make significant changes in the Ohio severance tax system that applies to oil and natural gas wells in exchange for lowering Ohio’s income tax.
The law is different for farmers selling eggs produced on their farm vs. selling eggs at a farmers’ market or farm product auction. One is exempt from retail food licensing requirements, the other is not exempt. The number of birds is a factor, along with the requirement of a free inspection.