Ohio has constitutional amendment processes which allow citizens to vote directly to change Ohioís constitution and laws. Recently we have seen an increase in ballot initiatives and referendums, which leads to many questions.
Policy & Politics
- Congress extends tax breaks beneficial to farmers
- Hirsch: What we do at this meeting matters
- Ohio needs more infrastructure, food processing to meet demand for local food
- Tips for entrepreneurs overheard at the Ohio Farm and Food Leadership Forum
- Catlett tells farmers to prepare for the golden age of agriculture
Governor Kasich has introduced a proposal to make significant changes in the Ohio severance tax system that applies to oil and natural gas wells in exchange for lowering Ohioís income tax.
Federal legislation has been introduced for an agreement between the Humane Society of the U.S. and the United Egg Producers dealing with cage size and other animal care standards for our nationís 280 million egg-laying hens.
The law is different for farmers selling eggs produced on their farm vs. selling eggs at a farmersí market or farm product auction. One is exempt from retail food licensing requirements, the other is not exempt. The number of birds is a factor, along with the requirement of a free inspection.
Animal issues continue to evolve at national, state, and county levels. Ohio Farm Bureau is engaged, from traditional livestock to companion animals to wild dangerous animals. As society continues to evolve, the perception of what is or is not animal agriculture has become less clear.