Buckeye Farm News
“Agriculture Feeds Our Needs: Feeding and Fueling the World Workshop” will be offered June 15 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center at Ohio State University. The workshop is geared toward classroom teachers and volunteers who are interested in promoting Ag in the Classroom. The goal of the workshop is to provide educational resources for teachers to use in their classrooms and for Farm Bureau volunteers to use in local education programs.
Sessions topics for the day:
- Hear what one group did to connect the community to local livestock farms
- Review a science program called “Chick Quest” that explores the science of embryology
- Take a look at the Think TV Exploring Ohio lessons and videos
- Learn how government policy
affects the food supply
- Review the Growing Carrots in Ohio kit
- See how Ohio-produced foods can help teach supply and demand
- Learn what one organization is doing to help with hunger
- Hear about COSI’s newest outreach program
To register for this one-day seminar, contact Judy Roush at OFBF, [email protected] or call 614-246-8243 by June 8. The $25 fee includes lunch and breaks and is nonrefundable; the fee is $35 for nonmembers.
The second program features a two-day tour of livestock and poultry farms July 22 and 23 to see technology and conservation practices farmers are using today, and a two-day tour of Ohio State and the Ohio State Fair Aug. 6 and 7. “Agriculture: Your Link to Life” is for teachers only. Session one costs $150 and includes hotel, transportation, meals, classroom materials and registration. Cost is $160 for nonmembers. The second session costs $50 and includes lunches, classroom materials and registration. The cost is $60 for nonmembers.
For the teacher-only tours, graduate credit will be offered through Ashland University and can be paid for separately at the workshops. One credit hour can be earned for each session completed. The cost of one credit hour is $166.
Contact Judy Roush, [email protected] or 614-246-8243 to register.