Save the Date: December 1-3
- The 2010 Ohio Farm Bureau annual meeting will be held at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, Battelle Grand and Hyatt Regency Hotel. In addition to informational programs, farmers representing each county Farm Bureau will establish Ohio Farm Bureau’s policy for the upcoming year. More information will be available in the coming weeks.
- “This is democracy at its finest. This is the grassroots of all grassroots.” ~ Assistant director of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Rich Milleson in a Farm and Dairy article commending the farmers he spoke to at the Stark County Farm Bureau annual meeting.
- “It is the criminals’ intention to get to the plants before the farmer’s harvest, but I guess the criminals aren’t up on their harvest dates this year.” ~ Ohio Corn Growers spokesperson Natalie Lehner in The Columbus Dispatch discussing how the early harvest has revealed illegal marijuana plantings in some farm fields.
- “The concern in the countryside that I’ve heard when I’ve gone out is that somehow the EPA ‘has it in’ for the agricultural sector.” ~ U.S. Environment Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson in an article from The American Spectator acknowledging a growing frustration from farmers over regulations.
By the numbers: 8 months
- That’s the amount of time that former farm worker Billy Joe Gregg Jr. will have to spend in jail after a video revealed his abuse of dairy cattle on an Ohio farm earlier this year. Gregg received a maximum sentence of 18 months, although 10 months were suspended. He was also ordered to have no contact with animals for three years while he completes therapy for animal abusers.
Grandin to speak at animal welfare symposium
- An Animal Welfare Symposium, sponsored in part by the Ohio Farm Bureau, will feature a presentation by well-known animal-handling expert Temple Grandin. The event is intended to build on the success of last year’s symposium and further the goal of properly addressing farm animal welfare issues in Ohio. The conference will be held Nov. 30 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center at the Ohio State University. More information and registration is available by calling 614-292-3752 or visiting http://vet.osu.edu/preventive-medicine/AnimalWelfareSymposium.
- Grandin will also be speaking at a separate evening event focused on companion animals.
Wachtmann is Friend of Agriculture