Joyce Brown - Brown's Family Farm Market

Diary of Joyce Brown – Brown’s Family Farm Market -Week 2- March 7-13

Monday, March 7, 2011

The goats beat me out of the door today! There they were standing outside the pen when I walked down to the barn this morning. They worked a board loose at the bottom of the fence and slipped out. Lucky for me they are so tame that they just followed me right back into the barn. After I fixed the pen, I spent the morning in the greenhouses planting Lillys. There is to be a wedding in our family in May and I am trying to grow flowers for my daughter’s wedding. I hope the timing works out for them. I got a late start on them, but I can push them along in the greenhouse and I know that it will certainly be fun trying. The greenhouse was in good shape today.  It looks a lot warmer outside than it really is today. I was glad to be in the greenhouse where it was clean, warm, and sunny. I also visited a local wholesale greenhouse today. I buy extra flowers from them in May when I open the market. I only have enough room to grow so much, and then I have to buy in some flowers.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

More flower plugs came in today. We started planting our Al’s pouches this afternoon. They are not very easy to plant and get started. Oh well, if it was easy everyone would be doing it wouldn’t they? The pouches hang on a fence or hook and give you a different dimension in your garden design.  I really like them. The weather got very nice today as a matter of fact it got downright hot in the greenhouse!  This evening we are going to the O.S.U. Extension banquet. It is always nice to see the local farmers and folks who attend and show support to the extension employees.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The banquet was very nice last night. We were so surprised when my husband won an award for outstanding extension volunteer. We got a chuckle out of that.  More flower plugs came in today. We had to work on the water lines a lot today. The greenhouses have so many weather extremes when they are not in use, that it is very hard on some of the equipment. It gets so hot in the summer, then so cold in the winter that the pipes and fixtures are damaged. We planted the impatiens and begonia hanging baskets this afternoon.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The day started out mild this morning, but by nightfall it was snowing and sleeting with the wind blowing hard.  We worked planting begonias in flats and more of Al’s pouches in the morning. We finished up by 2:00 so I went home and worked on my tag order for some of the flowers and on some of the never ending paper work that the small business owner has to take care of.

Friday, March 11, 2011

I went to the fabric store to pick out some material for decorating at the farm market. The colorful prints add to the homey atmosphere in the sales area. Didn’t really find what I was looking for. I wanted to do a tractor print theme, and all I could find was John Deere! I needed IH international! After that I went back to the greenhouses to plant more Lillys. There is now a beautiful selection that should be ready for the wedding if we need them. I think that the plants look very healthy this year. So far so good! The weather stayed cold for most of the day. I was going to pressure clean the farm market inside if it turned a bit warmer, but I didn’t really want to get wet and be out in the cold. I learned some time ago that tomorrow is another day! Again this afternoon I went home and did office work.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

It was so windy today that it was almost scary in the greenhouse. The wind really whips the plastic. I hope that the electricity stays on so it stays warm in the greenhouse.  I watered the plants, checked the seedlings in the incubation chamber and went to the Hamilton store to work in the office. The peppers always take so long to come up that I am always afraid that they are never going to come. We are getting ready for an auction at the Ham. store on March 26th.  I have not seen much there that I need. As a matter of fact I could put some stuff in the auction if I looked hard enough. I have to remember the time changes tonight. It wouldn’t due to show up at church an hour late would it? I have done that before!







Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *