More than 11,000 nonfarmers experienced Ohio agriculture through numerous county-led “Grow and Know” events in 2011. Medina County’s “Celebrating Season’s Harvest” event featured an on-farm tour and dinner featuring local foods with proceeds benefiting a local animal shelter. Darke County’s “Home Grown in Darke County” features a series of local food cooking events. Both earned American Farm Bureau’s County Activities of Excellence Award.
Other events included tours of farmers markets, “Meet the Farmer” events and “back to basics” events focused on food, gardening and more.
Nearly 350,000 fairgoers visited OFBF’s “Land and Living” exhibit at the Ohio State Fair in 2011, where featured partners such as Nationwide Insurance and Ohio’s commodity organizations help bring agriculture to life for all visitors. OFBF also partnered in the Ohio State Fair’s “Agriculture is Cool” program to provide an interactive agricultural education experience for Ohio fourth-graders and their parents/guardians.
“Land and Living” highlights:
- 100+ hatching ducklings and chicks
- About 5,000 fairgoers climbing the giant corn wall
- Nearly 30 college students serving as “Ag Ambassadors”
- 10,800 flowers planted and taken home by children
- 5,663 complimentary photos taken of families
- Nationwide-sponsored Columbus Zoo animals
- Longaberger basket weaving demonstrations
- Velvet Honey Caramel Ice Cream samples