Learning from Experts-Educational Events:
* 38 Educational Events for landowners and citizens about the new pollution abatement rules, funding for Best Management Practices have been conducted by the Mercer Soil and Water Conservation District, Ohio Department of Natural Resources-Division of Soil & Water Resources , USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, Mercer Co.Farm Bureau and OSU Extension.
These practices are:
** Filter and buffer strips, which are used to keep soil and nutrients out of the stream.
** Cover crops which are used to protect bare soil and improve soil and water quality.
** The formation of comprehensive nutrient management plans (CNMP’s) used to manage the amount, source, placement, form and timing of the application of nutrient to help crops grow.
** The movement of nutrients to areas that can use it best, and improving manure storage facilities to maximize use in and environmentally safe manner and other current topics
Doing Right for our Watershed-Management Practices:
* 233 Total Active Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) contracts in the watershed.
* Over 430 Conservation Practices or items have been installed
Managing our Resources-Nutrient Management:
* Two-Thirds of the livestock farms have Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plans (CNMP).
* 32,673 acres or 71% of the total acreage in the GLSM watershed is covered under a CNMP out of the total 46,000 cropland acres.
Bringing Farmers Together:
AG Solutions – Formed in early 2011 this is a group of watershed farmers who are aggressively seeking out cost effective “Solutions” for agriculture in the GLSM. Conduct monthly meetings to work on numerous technology partnerships , secured a grant of $50,000 from USDA/NRCS to fund nutrient solutions. Working with community to make a difference in our watershed.
ADAPT–Agronomic Decisions for Advancement & Profit – Secured a $200,000 grant by working with Ag Solutions and other partners to form in July 2011. These 24 participants and their 12,000 acres in the watershed are currently working utilize cutting edge science based best management practices.
Would you like a copy? Click on Grand_Lake_Fact_Sheet.pdf above (below picture) and print.