The program includes interactive stations and helps showcase the way agriculture impacts the lives of Ohioans. There are many opportunities for county Farm Bureau involvement. Below, you’ll find ideas on how to get involved and descriptions of the various “Agriculture is Cool” activities.
2012 “Agriculture is Cool” Program Areas
Ag is Cool for Fourth Graders
Exiting fourth grade students and one guardian can gain free admission to the Ohio State Fair by showing their last grade card at the entry gate.
Once inside the fairgrounds, students can check in at the Ohio Department of Agriculture’s tent or the Nationwide Donahey Ag and Hort Building to receive their passport and a map to agricultural education stations located throughout the fairgrounds.
Students have the opportunity to visit stations that feature beef, swine, dairy, poultry, grains and more. After visiting the fair, students can compete for one of four $500 scholarship awards by writing an essay on what was learned at the fair and why Ohio agriculture is cool.
Ag is Cool for Teachers
New this year, Ohio fourth grade teachers will have the opportunity to gain free admission to the Ohio State Fair to experience Agriculture is Cool.
Teachers may pre-register for free admission to the fair online by July 1. After July 1, teachers will be emailed a unique voucher to present at the entry gate for admission.
Ohio’s agricultural commodity groups will offer two $2,500 classroom grants for teachers who visit all of the Ag is Cool stations and enter a random drawing to win the prize.
Ag is Cool Creative Expression competition
Students K-12 can flex their imagination by creating agricultural works of art, videos and more. Prior to the fair, the Creative Expression visual arts contest will take place through July 9. School-age Ohioans (K-12) are encouraged to draw, paint, photograph or produce a video about why they think agriculture is cool. Winners in each category and age group will be selected and honored in a special ceremony at the fair.
IDEAS FOR COUNTY FARM BUREAU PARTICIPATION
– Share Ag is Cool fliers with fourth grade classrooms in your counties. Anyone can participate by visiting Ag is Cool stations at the state fair, but only fourth grade students and teachers have the opportunity for free fair admission.
– Distribute Ag is Cool information at county Ag Ed field days and education events.
– Consider “adopting” a fourth grade class and sponsoring a field trip to the fair for the class. The sponsorship winner could be determined through a contest if desired.
– County Farm Bureau leaders could speak with the class about the Ag is Cool program and share fliers with the students and teachers.
– Encourage students to participate in the essay contest after the fair.
– Think about doing “Ag is Cool” style stations at your county fair to help nonfarmers better understand Ohio agriculture.
– Volunteer at an “Ag is Cool” station during the Ohio State Fair.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information, contact Cara Lawson at [email protected] or 614-246-8238.