Summer is here, and the opportunities to get engaged with agriculture in your community are growing through Ohio Farm Bureau. Here is the latest comprehensive list of Farm Bureau tours, demonstrations, workshops, meetings and other happenings throughout the state. Click on the link provided with each listing for more details.
WIN A TRUCK, OTHER GREAT PRIZES IN MEMBERSHIP SWEEPSTAKES!
The new ‘Every Member Sign a Member Sweepstakes’ is currently underway. If you’re a Farm Bureau member, each person you sign up for a Farm Bureau membership between June 1 and Aug. 15 qualifies you for an entry in a sweepstakes for a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD Extended Cab LT, and many other prizes including a lifetime Ohio Farm Bureau membership, a $1,000 Nationwide Bank 12-month CD, a 6500 Watt Portable Generator from Grainger, a $500 Sherwin Williams Gift Card, a “New iPad,” and Four Suite Tickets to an Ohio State University Football game. Visit the sweepstakes page for all the details, rules, eligibility requirements, and to enter.
MORE OIL & GAS MEETINGS ACROSS OHIO
A growing list of oil and gas issues briefings have been scheduled throughout Ohio to answer questions and concerns as oil and gas exploration continues throughout the state. Check out the specific programs available, and find where you can attend an upcoming meeting.
EXPERIENCE AGRICULTURE AT SUMMER GROW & KNOW EVENTS
Experience Ohio agriculture up close and personal through dinners on the farm, farmers markets, interactive workshops, classes and more at an Our Ohio Grow & Know Event near you! Check out the entire listing of this summer’s events!
LOCAL EVENTS CALENDAR
Throughout June – Trumbull County Farm Bureau members can support the county Farm Bureau during this month-long fundraiser at Ponderosa.
Now through July 9 – Check out Farm Fest – “The Science of Moo” at the Imagination Station in Lucas County
June 16 – Washington County Farm Bureau invites local residents to Ag Day on Campus at Washington State Community College.
June 21 – One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Learn all about the unique concept of trash gardening at this Cuyahoga County workshop.
June 22 – Join county Farm Bureaus in northwest Ohio for a day with the Toledo Mud Hens minor league baseball team.
June 24 – Spend the day on the farm in Muskingum County at this farm tour and on-farm picnic.
June 28 – Join Hardin County Farm Bureau for its Summer Party
June 30 – Butler County’s hosts the Boer Goat Classic.
July 7 – Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau hosts this Benefit Horse Show to support the return of Cleveland’s Mounted Police Unit.
July 10 – Check out tips, suggestions and demonstrations on preserving food at this Canning 101 workshop in Butler County. Register by July 6.
July 13 – Montgomery County Farm Bureau members, first-time and long-time, are invited to this year’s new member dinner and ice cream social.
July 14 – Catch a scenic train ride to the Hale Farm and Village during this Farm Bureau event in northeast Ohio.
July 18 – Logan County hosts a Women in Agriculture event on “Helping People Help the Land”
July 18 – Batter up! It’s Farm Bureau night with the Dayton Dragons minor league baseball team. Find out how to get tickets.
July 26-28 – Logan County Farm Bureau’s “CONNECTIONS” agriculture tour will cover a lot of ground and visit many farms and aspects of agriculture during this three-day adventure.
Aug. 3 – Ohio youths can dance the night away during this Ohio Farm Bureau State Fair Youth Square Dance.
Aug. 13-24 – Ottawa, Sandusky and Seneca County Farm Bureaus remind local residents of the opportunity to recycle farm tires through this limited time program.
Aug. 16 – Medina County Farm Bureau’s wildly successful “Season’s Harvest” event returns this year, featuring a new on-farm visit and on-site local foods dinner, all benefiting the Feeding Medina County Initiative. Check out the photos from last year’s event!
Aug. 16 – Hamilton County Farm Bureau invites members to its annual Farm Bureau Day at Stricker’s Grove.
Aug. 24-26 – Miami County Farm Bureau hosts its first ever camp-in for members.
Aug. 25 – Central Ohio Farm Bureau members are invited to a night with the Columbus Crew Major League Soccer team.
SCHOLARSHIPS & APPROACHING DEADLINES
Lorain County Farm Bureau is offering a set of agricultural awareness grants for area teachers and organizations. Deadline to apply is June 30.
Carroll and Jefferson County Farm Bureau offers a local Ag Educator Award. Submit your nominations by Aug. 1.
Check out the upcoming local food and agriculture workshops and deadlines in Preble County Farm Bureau’s Grow It. Know It. series.
While many county Farm Bureaus have already awarded scholarships for the year, there are a few still available. Get details on each below, accompanied by the submission deadline.
Clark County Farm Bureau Scholarship – July 26 application deadline
Darke County Farm Bureau Scholarship – July 26 application deadline
Miami County Farm Bureau Scholarship – July 26 application deadline
And congratulations to all winners of scholarships awarded in the following counties:
ANNUAL MEETINGS & POLICY DEVELOPMENT
This is the time of the year most county Farm Bureaus start scheduling their annual meetings and preparing for contributions to the organization’s policy development process. Take a look at how Ohio Farm Bureau’s grassroots public policy process works, and check out the opportunities below where you can get involved.
Greene County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting – Aug. 16
Huron County Policy Development Meeting – June 21
Seneca County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting – Sept. 13
Warren County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting – Aug. 22
OTHER NEWS & ACTIVITIES
– Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau shares this opportunity to visit a local dairy in Clairdon this summer.
– See how Lucas County Farm Bureau youths took a personal approach to helping fight hunger in northwest Ohio by donating pork from their hogs.
– Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureaus welcome a summer intern.
– Lorain County Farm Bureau congratulates a local student who received a scholarship from the Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation.
– Sign up to be a member of the Cuyahoga or Lorain County Farm Bureaus for a shot at winning tickets to the Vintage Ohio Wine Festival.
– Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau shares a story about a recent visit to The Vineyard of Chateau Hough, an aspiring inner-city vineyard.
– A group of Cuyahoga County elementary students learned all about growing carrots this spring.
– Richland County Farm Bureau shares how local Rus-Men Farms was featured in a recent issue of Our Ohio magazine. Seneca County Farm Bureau also highlights a local Farm Bureau family that was featured in a recent Our Ohio.
– Auglaize County Farm Bureau reports on the success of its recent Farm Safety Day Camp.
– Shelby County Farm Bureau wraps up a hands-on salad project with local elementary students, names winners of its poster and essay contest, and promotes a local scholarship opportunity from the Soil & Water Conservation District.
– Tuscarawas County Farm Bureau shares three new local benefits for members.
– Carroll County Farm Bureau offers a new discount for members at Jimmy’s Backyard BBQ.
– Check out the new Buying Local Coupon offered at Garden Patch Greenhouse in Coshocton County.
– Fairfield, Hocking, Pickaway and Ross County Farm Bureau members are encouraged to consider current available local leadership opportunities within the organization.
– Butler County shares about its recent Local Government Funding Issues meeting.
– Warren County Farm Bureau makes a donation to the Warren County 9/11 Memorial Fund.
– A series of events at a Clinton County Farmers Market will be answering fresh, local foods questions for members of the community.
– Franklin and Madison County Farm Bureaus share an update to an Ohio local food guide.
CONNECT WITH YOUR COUNTY FARM BUREAU
Check out all the happenings on Ohio’s county Farm Bureau blogs, where you can also Like your County Farm Bureau on Facebook!
Visit the OFBF.org events page for more events and activities