The Ohio Agricultural Council, Ohio Soybean Council, Farm Credit Services of Mid-America, United Producers Inc., Miami County Soil and Water Conservation District, Ohio Farm Bureau Foundation, Ohio Pork Producers Council and several county Farm Bureaus have announced their scholarship offerings for 2013. All scholarship programs assist students in pursuing their education in agricultural-related areas of study and aim to help promote agriculture and agribusiness as a growing field of career opportunities.
COUNTY FARM BUREAU SCHOLARSHIPS
Most county Farm Bureaus offer scholarships for local students studying agriculture or a related field. Here’s the updated list of available scholarships listed by county and application deadlines.
– Allen County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Brown County Farm Bureau Scholarships – Deadline March 28
– Butler County Farm Bureau Scholarships – Deadline March 29
– Carroll County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 1
– Columbiana County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 15
– Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline June15
– Defiance County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 5
– Fairfield County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Fulton County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 5
– Hancock County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Hardin County Farm Bureau Jane Ralston Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Hardin County Farm Bureau Walter Oates Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Henry County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 5
– Hocking County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Madison County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 28
– Paulding County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Perry County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Pickaway County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Portage County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 15
– Putnam County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Ross County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Seneca County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Stark County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 15
– Summit County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 1
– Union County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline March 28
– Van Wert County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 1
– Williams County Farm Bureau Scholarship – Deadline April 5
United Producers Inc. is excited to support the future generation of agriculture through its scholarship program. UPI is offering two $1,000 scholarships in each of its 16 districts to deserving high school and post high school students pursuing agriculture degrees.
Applicants must be a Preferred Member of UPI or a child or grandchild of a Preferred Member, and a 2013 graduating high school senior, or a student currently attending a college or technical school studying an agriculture-related field. Completed applications and essays must be postmarked by April 1. Visit www.uproducers.com for more information and to download an application form.
Ohio State Fair Scholarships
The Ohio State Fair offers scholarships to high school students and recent graduates in an effort to recognize their accomplishments as junior fair exhibitors. Applications for the 2013 scholarships are currently available online.
High school juniors and seniors during the current (2012-2013) academic year, as well as recent high school graduates who are continuing their education at an accredited institution in an undergraduate course of study in any field, are eligible to apply on or before June 15.
Applicants will be judged on scholastic standing, citizenship and leadership, Ohio State Fair participation, county fair participation and financial need. Scholarships will be presented during the Sale of Champions at the Ohio State Fair held on Aug. 4.
Ohio Pork Producers Council scholarships
The Ohio Pork Producers Council will be offering up to $8,000 in scholarships, ranging from $500 to $1000 per individual. Applicants should be a sophomore, junior or senior in college whose parents are actively involved in a 365-day swine operation. This includes children of swine managers, employees and contract growers.
The Ohio Pork Council Women will also be offering $500 scholarships to college students in their junior year or higher. OPPC & OPCW scholarship applications are due April 19. To obtain an application for both of these scholarships, please visit: www.Industry.OhioPork.org.
The Ohio Pork Producers Council also provides scholarships for students attending Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences or Ohio State Agricultural Technical institue and pursing a degree related to swine production. Visit http://AnSci.osu.edu/students.html for more details.
The Miami Soil and Water Conservation District is offering two $750 scholarship awards to Miami county residents who are majoring in agriculture or natural resources. The scholarships are for the purpose of continuing higher education at a two-year or four-year college or university. Applications will be accepted from students meeting the following qualifications: a Miami county resident, an agriculture or natural resources major and enrolled for fall quarter of 2013. Email inf[email protected] for a copy of the application!.
OABA provides scholarships to students in agribusiness through its Educational Trust and the Greenleaf Agri-Industry Award. The Ohio AgriBusiness Association Educational Trust was formed Sept. 1, 1993, as a public charity under Section 501c (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Members of the industry were concerned with the noticeable lack of quality people seeking career opportunities in agribusiness. Many were being lured away because of available scholarship assistance in closely related fields. The leaders of OABA felt it needed to aggressively compete for the talents of people by creating a sound and durable scholarship program. Presently, scholarships range from $1000 to $4,000 for a given academic year. Scholarships are awarded for a one year period.
Ohio Soybean Council Scholarship Program
The Ohio Soybean Council Foundation is pleased to announce scholarship opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students at Ohio colleges and universities. These scholarships are designed to promote career development in the soybean industry.
Three undergraduate scholarships of up to $3,000 each will be awarded, as well as one $3,000 Farmer, Lumpe and McClelland Excellence in Communications Scholarship, which was founded to provide resources to young people with a passion for agricultural or business communications. Also available to one undergraduate student is a $5,000 Bhima Vijayendran Scholarship, named to honor Dr. Vijayendran’s contributions to the soybean industry through his scientific research and commercialization activities at Battelle.
Undergraduate student applicants must be Ohio residents, enrolled as full-time students at an Ohio college or university, with a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in his or her major field, and having attained at least sophomore status by the fall of the year of application. Eligible majors include biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, bioenergy, biofuels, crop science, food science, agricultural communications, agricultural business, bioengineering, chemical engineering or a related field. Applicants must also demonstrate the desire to pursue a career related to the soybean industry and/or agriculture.
Two scholarships of up to $5,000 each are available to students who are enrolled as full-time graduate students in an Ohio college or university. Applicants must be conducting research in bioproducts, biobased materials, bioengineering, biotechnology, biopolymers or a related field, and focused on advancing the soybean industry. Graduate applicants must have proof of legal residency in the United States.