Do you have an SPCC plan?

Anyone who stores more than 1,320 gallons of oil products in aboveground containers or more than 42,000 gallons in buried containers must have an SPCC plan. In this rule, oil products include diesel fuel, gasoline, lube oil, hydraulic oil, adjuvant oil, crop oil, vegetable oil or animal fat (does not include milk).

To comply you must prepare and implement a plan that can be self-certified if you have between 1,320 and 10,000 gallons of aboveground storage, meaning you must develop and keep a plan on hand, but you do not have to have it certified by a professional engineer. If you store 5,000 gallons of oil or less the EPA has a sample plan you can use, and if you have 5,000 to 10,000 gallons of storage, you can still use the EPA template as a sample to create your own plan.

If you store more than 10,000 gallons, your plan will need to be certified by a professional engineer. Containers holding less than 55 gallons do not need to be counted toward the storage amount for SPCC purposes.

Plans should include:

  • A list of oil containers at the farm by parcel;
  • a brief description of procedures you will use to prevent oil spills;
  • a brief description of the measures you installed to prevent oil from reaching water;
  • a brief description of the measures you will use to contain and cleanup an oil spill to water; and
  • a list of emergency contacts and first responders.

The plan should be updated whenever there is a change, and should be reviewed and updated every five years.

For more information about SPCC plans please visit the EPA website.


Farm and Dairy carried a story from Ohio State discussing SPCC plan deadlines and details.



Callie Wells 

Callie Wells is the director of digital communications for Ohio Farm Bureau.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *