Top of Ohio Farm Tour Sept. 20

Join us on the Top of Ohio Drive it Yourself Farm Tour as we visit some of Logan Counties farms and fields! Held on September 20, 2015 from 1:00 to 5:00 pm, the tour is free to the public. This great day will feature three farms in the northcentral Logan County area who are working hard each day to supply food for our tables.

Featured on the tour this year…



Lyden’s Polypay Sheep Farm: Tim & Mary Lyden 3816 St Rt 47 E in Bellefontaine

The Lyden family has been in the sheep industry since the early 70’s. Shortly after Tim and Mary were married they purchased 25 commercial ewes.  In 1997 the Lyden’s expanded their farm, when they purchased twenty- five acres State Route 47 east of Bellefontaine where a new home and barn were constructed. The flock currently consists of approximately 60 Polypay ewes and 20 crossbred replacement ewe lambs along with a herd of crossbred beef cows. The Lyden’s work hard to utilize best conservation practices to protect not only the soil but water quality as well. Join us here for a farm tour, lamb samples and kids activities.


Wishwell Farms: Wish Family 3381 US 68 N. in Bellefontaine

Wishwell Farms began as a dairy and grain operation four generations ago. The grain operation still remains an integral part of the farm, but the dairy was sold in 2001. From that point, the farm began raising vegetables for the fresh market with over 99% being marketed directly to consumers through numerous retail outlets and the remaining 1% being sold to a small supermarket chain and several restaurants.

What began as a way to get rid of extra sweet corn from the family patch in the 1990’s has grown into a substantial business. Not only did it help pay college tuition, it has become a full time career for Jason Wish and his family, employing around 20 part time workers during the summer months and up to as many as 35 during strawberry season. In 1998 the produce sales at Wishwell Farms moved from the family garage to its current location on US Route 68. The vegetables grown on approximately 75 acres of land and in several greenhouses.  At Wishwell, there will be a petting zoo and the Logan Co. Antique tractor association.


Forsythe Farms: The Forsythe Family 2389 State Route 274W in Huntsville

Forsythe Family Farms is a partnership that began in 1998 between brothers, Joe and Andy Forsythe.  Together they farm close to 1000 acres throughout Logan County.  250 of these acres have been in the family for more than 70 years.  Joe and Andy farm corn, soybeans and wheat in addition to custom farming an additional 500 acres. They sell both small square bales and large round bales of hay locally.

The Forsythe’s also manage a 60 head cow/calf operation in which the calves are marketed for freezer beef, along with feeding several pigs for freezer sales. Joe and Andy have worked hard with help from Logan County Soil and Water Conservation District and Natural Resources Conservation Service to create a sustainable management plan for their farms. Rotational grazing pastures, manure management facilities, fencing strategies, grass waterway and filter strip development are all ways the Forsythe’s have worked to care for the land and maintain good water quality.


Farm to Table Meal with the FFA: Camp Wesley 653 Twp Rd 37 E in Bellefontaine

<!–[if gte mso 9]><xml> </xml><![endif]–>

Join the Ben Logan and Riverside FFA’s as they host a farm to table dinner for all at Camp Wesley from 11:00am to 2:00pm on the 20th. The groups will offer a picnic meal at the cost of 50 cents, which is the farmer’s share of the meal. Please RSVP to the county Farm Bureau office by September 14 at 877-775-7642.


Thank you to Cooperate Sponsor Logan Electric Cooperative and these great Stop Sponsors: Indian Lake Watershed Project, Farm Credit Mid-America, James Forsythe Milroy Foundation, Top of Ohio Resources Conservation & Development Council. Other sponsors include, Logan Co. Farm Bureau, Duff Quarry, Trupointe Cooperative, Pheasants Forever Logan County Chapter #285, Quest Federal Credit Union, Liberty National Bank, Reichert Farm Drainage Inc., A.G. Boogher & Son Inc., Koenig Equipment, Logan County Land Trust and Reichert Excavating.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *