Are you passionate about agriculture and does conversation come easily for you? Consider applying for Farm Bureau’s Discussion Meet competition. It’s designed for young agricultural professionals to analyze agricultural issues and decide on solutions that best meet their needs.
During the competition, participants simulate a committee meeting where discussion and active participation are expected from each committee member. Applicants build basic discussion skills, develop a keen understanding of important agricultural issues and explore how groups can pool knowledge to reach consensus and solve problems. A successful applicant is a productive thinker rather than an emotional persuader. He/she will assist the group in creating ways to implement the solutions discussed and highlight Farm Bureau’s involvement in those actions/steps. Find more detail in the AFBF Discussion Meet Manual.
Discussion Meet is hosted by Ohio Farm Bureau’s Young Agricultural Professionals – singles and married couples ages 18 to 35 who are interested in improving the business of agriculture, learning new ideas and developing leadership skills.
Oct. 30, 2017: Applications are due to Ohio Farm Bureau.
Dec. 6, 2017: Semi-finals will be held at Ohio Farm Bureau’s Annual Meeting at the Hilton Hotel in Columbus. Round 1 will begin at 3 p.m. and Round 2 will begin at 5 p.m. Contestants will receive a free registration to the annual meeting.
Semi-Final Round 1 Question: Farmers are a shrinking percentage of the population. How can Farm Bureau help first-generation farmers and ranchers get started in agriculture?
Semi-Final Round 2 Question: How can farmers and ranchers maintain their buying power with the continued trend of input supplier and provider consolidations?
Feb. 2, 2018: Four finalists will be chosen to compete at 8 p.m. at the YAP Winter Leadership Conference in Columbus and will receive one free registration to the conference.
Final Round 1 Question: With a growing demand for U.S. farm products abroad, how can agriculture overcome public skepticism of foreign trade to negotiate new trade agreements and open new world markets?
January, 2019: Ohio Discussion Meet winner competes against other state winners during American Farm Bureau’s Annual Convention in New Orleans. Winner receives an expense-paid trip to the convention.
- Must be a farmer/voting member of a county Farm Bureau.
- Must be 18-35 years of age prior to Jan. 31, 2019.
- Must not have received a public speaking fee or honorarium in the past 24 months.
- Previous state winners and current Young Agricultural Professionals Advisory Team members are ineligible.
- Past and present members of the AFBF YF&R Committee may not apply.
- County, state and American Farm Bureau employees are not eligible, as well as affiliate companies.
- $1,000 cash award from Nationwide Insurance.
- Expense-paid trip to OFBF Annual Meeting including two-nights lodging and invitation to the Kick-Off Luncheon Dec. 5-7, 2018.
- Expense-paid trip to AFBF Annual Convention January 2019 in New Orleans.
Questions may be directed to OFBF Director of Leadership Programming Melinda Witten.
Photo caption: 2017 Discussion Meet winner Danielle Burch, on left.