Farm Bureau’s annual Discussion Meet competition is intended to develop young agricultural professionals’ skills in working through thoughtful, courteous discussion to solve problems.
This competitive event simulates a committee meeting where discussion and active participation are expected from each participant. This competition is evaluated on an exchange of ideas and information on a pre-determined topic (listed below). Participants build basic discussion skills, develop a keen understanding of important agricultural issues and explore how groups can pool knowledge to reach consensus and solve problems.
- Must be a farmer/voting member of a county Farm Bureau.
- Must be 18-35 years of age prior to Jan. 31, 2020.
- Must not have received a public speaking fee or honorarium in the past 24 months.
- Previous state winners and current Young Agricultural Professionals Advisory Team are ineligible.
- Past and present members of the AFBF YF&R Committee may not apply.
2019 Discussion Meet Topics, Competition & Awards
Dec. 6, 2018 at Ohio Farm Bureau’s Annual Meeting at the Hilton Hotel in Columbus. Round 1 and 2 will be held from 9-11:30 a.m.
Semi-Final Round 1 Question: As the voice of agriculture, how can Farm Bureau be more inclusive of all agriculture and production practices? This includes, but is not limited to, women in agriculture, organic production, fresh produce, forestry and aquaculture.
Semi-Final Round 2 Question: In our modern world, the rapid dissemination of information and opinion about agriculture and food technologies can make it difficult to distinguish fact from fiction. Given these challenges, how can Farm Bureau best protect farmers’ and ranchers’ access to production technology options?
Four finalists will be chosen to compete Feb. 1, 2019 at 8 p.m. at the YAP Winter Leadership Conference in Columbus.
Final Round Question: Technology is one of the driving forces for innovation and advancement in agriculture. How can the industry attract the best and brightest minds from STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) into agricultural careers?
- $1,000 cash award from Nationwide Insurance.
- Expense-paid trip to OFBF Annual Meeting including two-nights lodging and invitation to the Harvest Banquet Dec. 11-13, 2019.
- Expense-paid trip to represent Ohio at the national competition during the American Farm Bureau Annual Convention in Austin, Texas in January 2020.
Annie Specht is the 2018 Discussion Meet winner and will represent Ohio at the American Farm Bureau Annual Convention in New Orleans in January 2019.
The 2018 Discussion Meet finalists were guests on Town Hall Ohio. (They are pictured in the feature photo.)
American Farm Bureau Discussion Meet information.