The annual Discussion Meet is a competitive event for Farm Bureau members ages 18-35 where participants are judged on their exchange of ideas and information on predetermined topics. Contestants will enhance their skills in effective communication and develop a deeper understanding of important agricultural issues
In this year’s semi final contest format, each competitor will be paired with a member of the agricultural media who will conduct a 10-minute interview around two predetermined topics. The interviewer will initiate the conversation, begin with one topic then move the conversation to the second topic halfway through the interview. Competitors will be evaluated on their delivery, critical thinking, Farm Bureau engagement and overall context of their interview. The contestants each will be asked the same questions. The interview will be recorded and shared with a panel of judges for scoring.
The contest will be held remotely through a video conference call Nov. 9. The four competitors with the highest overall score will participate in a traditional panel-style discussion Jan. 28 at the 2022 Winter Leadership Experience in Cincinnati. The individual with the highest score will advance to the American Farm Bureau national competition in January 2023.
Semi Final Topic 1: Studies show more farmers and farm families are experiencing stress and mental health issues. What can farmers, ranchers and Farm Bureau do to proactively promote good mental health in both themselves and their communities?
Semi Final Topic 2: Agriculture is one of the most hazardous industries. What can we, as young farmers and ranchers, do to create a more preventative, rather than reactive, approach to farm safety in our communities?
Final Four Topic: COVID revealed several cracks involving the processing of livestock. How can Farm Bureau policy support easing government regulations to ensure long-term economic viability for local animal processing facilities, while ensuring the health of workers and that a healthy product is still delivered to consumers?
Final Four competitor prizes
– 2022 Winter Leadership Experience complimentary registration.
– Farm Bureau soft shell jacket
Thank you to finalist sponsor Ohio Harness Horsemen’s Association
State winner prizes
– $3,000 prize of choice (from a list of Ohio Farm Bureau partners)
– Expense-paid trip to OFBF Annual Meeting December 2022 in Columbus and American Farm Bureau Annual Convention in Puerto Rico Jan. 6-11, 2023.
– Ohio Farm Bureau media package.
Thank you to sponsors Nationwide and Farm Credit Mid-America.
- Must be an active/voting member of a county Farm Bureau.
- Must be 18-35 years of age prior to Jan. 31, 2023.
- Must not have received a public speaking fee or honorarium in the past 24 months.
- The state winner of the 2022 Discussion Meet will be ineligible to compete in any other YF&R competitive events in 2022.
- Previous state winners and current Young Agricultural Professionals State Committee are ineligible.
- Past and present members of the AFBF YF&R Committee may not apply.
Zoom Training Call Sept. 7: 2021 state winner Stacie Anderson will give tips and advice to competitors related to training and preparation, helpful resources, delivery, and preparing opening and closing statements. Complete this form at ofb.ag/discussionmeettraining to sign up for the call.
First round contest: Nov. 9
Discussion Meet Finals: Jan. 28, 2022
National competition: Jan. 6-11, 2023