January 24, 8am–4:30pmWhere
Lutheran Memorial Camp 2790 State Route 61, Fulton, OH
This year’s Ohio Maple Days are set for Jan. 24 in Morrow County, Jan. 25 for Wayne and Holmes counties, and Jan. 26 in Geauga County.
The programs, which are the same at each location, offer educational sessions on maple production. They’re timed to help producers get ready for the coming season. Both hobby and commercial producers are welcome.
The sponsor is Ohio State University Extension, which is the statewide outreach arm of Ohio State University’s College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences.
- Jan. 24, Morrow County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Lutheran Memorial Camp, 2790 State Route 61, Fulton.
- Jan. 25, Wayne and Holmes counties, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at the Mennonite Christian Assembly Church, 10664 Fryburg Road near Fredericksburg.
- Jan. 26, Geauga County, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. at Joe J.S. Miller’s Window Shop, 15020 Shedd Road, Burton.
Featured speakers include:
- Kathy Hopkins, Extension maple syrup specialist from the University of Maine, who will share valuable information on quality control and selling quality products. Her presentation titles include “Identification of Fungal Contamination in Maple Syrup,” “Canning Protocols: What Works,” and “Visual Displays and Marketing.”
- Nate Bissell of Bissell Maple Farm in northeast Ohio, who will use his technical skills from his professional work and his learned skills as a sugarmaker to discuss how to better market Ohio maple syrup. His presentation is titled “Sugarmaking, Money Making or Both?”
- Gary Graham, coordinator of OSU Extension’s Ohio Maple Program, who will present “Production Statistics: Do the Numbers Really Count?”
There will also be a trade show; reports from OSU Extension and the Ohio Maple Producers Association; testing of hydrometers and Vermont Temporary Maple Syrup Grading Kits (bring them to the program; small additional fee for the testing); and a session called “Maple Nuggets” for sharing questions, ideas and information.
Pre-registration, which includes lunch, costs $30 and is due by Jan. 18. Payment at the door is $35 and doesn’t include lunch.
Participants can register by sending their name, contact information, and check or money order (made payable to OSU Extension) to OSU Extension, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster, OH 44691.