News & Events
- Big Solar Business & Community Solar Workshop March 27
- East Ohio Women in Agriculture Conference March 27
- Tuscarawas County Young Ag Professional Kickoff March 27
- 2015 Northeast Ohio Small Farm Conference and Trade Show March 28
- 2015 Ohio River Valley Woodland & Wildlife Workshop March 28
Animal Agriculture 101: Basics of Farm Animal Care & Management
May. 26, 2011 | 09:00 am - 04:00 pm
Aullwood Audubon Center and Farm
9101 Frederick Pike
Dayton, OH 45414
Gain understanding of on-farm animal care and production practices from experts in the field of dairy cattle, equine, beef cattle, swine, poultry, sheep, goats and more.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the Animal Agriculture 101 course is to provide a basic understanding of farm animal care and production practices, and to identify resources for local animal shelters and officials dealing with animal care complaints.
AUDIENCE: The course is suitable for: humane officers/agents; dog wardens; animal control officers; local animal shelters/humane societies; sheriff deputies; and county commissioners and others that deal with animal cruelty complaints.
Participants can expect to learn about the following topics:
- Basic animal care and production practices
- Body condition as a tool to assess nutritional and health status of animals
- Basic animal behavior and handling
- Proper biosecurity to limit spread of disease when entering/exiting a farm
- Additional information on Livestock disposal options, How to handle the media and The role of the Ohio Department of Agriculture.
Visits with local farmers on their farms will take place at later dates, giving participants the opportunity to hear firsthand how their animals are well-cared for.
Click the video to the left to hear more about the program from Dr. Leah Dorman.
Click the link to the left to download the Animal 101 brochure for complete details and an RSVP form.
For more information about the speakers or topics, contact Dr. Leah Dorman at [email protected] or 614-246-8247.
For questions concerning the event location and to RSVP, download the brochure via the link on this page, or contact Wanda Campbell at [email protected] or call 614-246-8271
RSVP deadline is May 19.
Animal Agriculture 101 is presented by Ohio Farm Bureau Federation in cooperation with Ohio State University Extension.