News & Events
You might also like
- Stepping out of our comfort zone - AgriPOWER Class VII Session 1 blog
- Understanding of why we do things the way that we do - AgriPOWER session 1 blog
- Farm Bureau part of successful grain storage bin case
- 12 Receive Ohio Farm Bureau Federation Foundation Scholarships
- Farm Bureau opposes marijuana measure
September 2012 County Farm Bureau Round-Up
As we roll into harvest season, county Farm Bureaus are winding down their summer activities while preparing for the next year. But there are still farm tours, on-farm dinners and other opportunities available out there across the state.
Here’s a look at what county Farm Bureaus are sharing on their websites for the month of September. (Click the link provided with each update for more details.)
Farm Bureau members invited to help staff Ohio Farm Bureau Building at Farm Science Review
Ohio Farm Bureau Federation members are invited to help build our organization’s stregnth by talking about membership and programs at Ohio Farm Bureau’s building this year at the annual Farm Science Review. The deadline to offer volunteer help is Sept. 13. Get all the details on how you can volunteer.
Discover agriculture in your county up-close at these local county Farm Bureau Farm Tours.
- Erie County Farm Tours - Sept. 9
- Franklin County Farm Tours - Sept. 9
- Hancock County Farm Tours - Sept. 15
- Lorain County Farm Tours - Sept. 22
- Shelby County Farm Tours - Sept. 16
MORE LOCAL EVENTS
- Throughout September - Delaware County Farm Bureau and Heritage Co-op’s Champion Feed stores in Dublin and Delaware are pairing up to help make a beneficial donation to the Animals For Life Foundation.
- Sept. 8 - Muskingum County Farm Bureau hosts its annual Farm-City Day
- Sept. 15 - Visit and tour a local CSA, and get your hands dirty harvesting, processing and preparing your own farm-fresh salsa at this Fiesta Salsa Showdown hosted by Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureaus.
- Sept. 15 - Join Perry County Farm Bureau for a gourmet dinner on a local farm, catered by a local chef using local products. A farm tour is included.
- Sept. 15 - Check out Vista Grand Ranch Buffalo Farm and enjoy a four-course local meal at this Farm-to-Table dinner hosted by Clermont County Farm Bureau. Proceeds benefit the Cincinnati Cooks’ “First Course” program.
- Sept. 18 - Join Cuyahoga and Lorain County Farm Bureaus for a bus trip down to the annual Farm Science Review in London, Ohio.
- Sept. 22 - Run for a good cause in the Marion County Harvest Hustle, a 4-mile run/walk benefitting local food pantries and the Marion Area Humane Society. More fun will be available for family members attending as well.
- Sept. 22 - Cuyahoga County is sponsoring this Horse March in downtown Cleveland to benefit the Cleveland Mounted Unit.
- Sept. 22 - Checkout Montgomery County Farm Bureau’s Harvest Fest
- Sept. 22 - Learn the basics of sewing and knitting as Preble County Farm Bureau hosts a Fibers Workshop as part of its Grow It, Know It series
- Sept. 22 - Step back in time with Union County Farm Bureau and into a page of Our Ohio magazine as you savor Ohio wines and sample delectable, locally grown appetizers in a charming, unforgettable setting – one of Union County’s beautifully restored covered bridges, during the annual Union County Covered Bridge Festival.
- Sept. 26 - Cuyahoga and Lorain County Farm Bureaus invite you to Wine 101. The evening will start with appetizers and wine tastings. A wine and cheese expert will speak on ideal pairings, followed by a presentation on how to get started making your own wine. Get all your wine questions answered while enjoying local offerings.
- Now through Oct. 4 - Mercer County Farm Bureau encourages folks to stop by the Celina Farmers’ Market every Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon through Oct. 4.
- Oct. 4 - Madison and Union County Farm Bureaus are teaming up to offer workshops each Thursday evening throughout the summer at the Plain City Farmers Market. Sessions will cover topics from how to make your own goat milk soap to cooking with items purchased at the market.
- Oct. 24 - Preble County Farm Bureau hosts this cooking day as part of its Grow It, Know It series. If you’re on the go, homemade, fast food provides the family with great meals in a short time. Learn simple, creative techniques for preparing quick, easy meals for your family. Plus, learn how to prepare food in advance.
- Oct. 27 - Join Preble County Farm Bureau’s Grow It, Know It workshop on Specialty Cooking and Baking. Prepare for the upcoming holiday season and learn about hosting large groups. This Grow it, Know it session focuses on making different kinds of pies and yeast rolls. Plus, attendees will make at least one batch of candy. Expecting large gatherings this season? Come and learn how to cook for a crowd.
OIL & GAS INFORMATIONAL MEETINGS
Oil and natural gas exploration continues across the state, and landowners continue to pack the house for local meetings talking about what they should know before they are approached about leasing land for this purpose. Here’s a list of upcoming informational meetings throughout the state.
- Sept. 6 - Pickaway County Oil & Gas Informational Meeting
- Sept. 10 - Newcomerstown Oil & Gas Informational Meeting
- Sept. 11 - Noble County Oil & Gas Informational Meeting
Many county Farm Bureaus are busy celebrating the past year’s accomplishments and establishing priorities for the next year during their annual meetings. Farm Bureau members are welcome to partake in annual meeting activities in their counties. Here’s a list of annual meetings that are coming up.
- Athens County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 23
- Auglaize County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 9
- Butler County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 13
- Clark County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 11
- Cuyahoga County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 12
- Harrison County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 27
- Knox County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 10
- Lawrence County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 11
- Logan County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 18
- Medina County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 13
- Mercer County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 11
- Montgomery County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 18
- Muskingum County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 11
- Scioto County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 16
- Washington County Farm Bureau Annual Meeting - Sept. 18
Others have already wrapped up their annual meetings. Here are some recaps that have been posted to their county Farm Bureau websites.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS & NOTES
- Lucas County Farm Bureau President Lonnie Perry is featured on the county’s blog
- Lucas, Ottawa, Sandusky and Wood County Farm Bureau members are encouraged to sign up for the new County Farm Bureau eNewsletter.
- Wood County Farm Bureau President Jeff Meyer is featured on the county blog
Here’s a featured post about Ottawa County Farm Bureau President Dean Schiller, Jr.
- Say hello to Sandusky County Farm Bureau President Scott Chalfin on the county’s blog
- Seneca County Farm Bureau congratulates Alvin Kiesel, Jr. on his induction into the Seneca County Hall of Recognition.
- Medina County Farm Bureau showcases this video of member Brad Indoe, previewing a story featuring Indoe in the Sept.-Oct. issue of Our Ohio magazine.
- Jefferson County Farm Bureau announces a change in office location effective Sept. 28.
- Knox County Farm Bureau members Dan and Ann Trudel are featured in the Sept.-Oct. issue ofOur Ohio magazine. Here’s a quick video previewing their story.
- Ross County Farm Bureau shares a recap of their successful Farm Factor Progressive Farm Dinner event.
- Miami County Farm Bureau’s Bushels For Hunger Program pulls in community partners in efforts to end local hunger.
- Montgomery County Farm Bureau is on the lookout for a few good local Farm Bureau volunteers.
- Montgomery County Farm Bureau members are encouraged to sign up to receive new local eNewsletters.
- Butler County Farm Bureau to honor those who have been members for more than 50 years at its annual meeting.
- Butler County Farm Bureau recaps its annual Farm Bureau Night at Strickers Grove
- Local “pillars of agriculture” were recently inducted into the Greene County Hall of Fame at Greene County Farm Bureau’s annual meeting.