News & Events
You might also like
- 'Legal with Leah' rewind - Farm Equipment on Roadways
- What to know about Worker Protection Standard revisions
- Columbia Gas president on 'Town Hall Ohio'
- Ohio farm families honored for conservation efforts
- Working for a more fair CAUV formula
Delivering a message
A group of Ohio Farm Bureau Young Agricultural Professionals recently delivered 1,576 postcards from Ohio farmers to lawmakers, urging them to “Put death taxes to rest.” The effort was part of a national campaign by American Farm Bureau. Unless Congress acts this year, the federal estate tax, commonly called the “death tax,” is scheduled to increase to 55 percent with a $1 million exemption at the beginning of 2011.That could hit farmers hard, because 84 percent of farm assets are real-estate based. As many as 10 percent of farms and ranches could owe estate taxes next year, according to the U.S. Agriculture Department.