This pie uses Granny Smith apples and ripe pears.
- Crumb Topping
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter cut into pieces and chilled
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups ripe pears peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Minute tapioca
For crumb topping: Mix ingredients well using a pastry blender until crumbly.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 10-inch unbaked crust. In large bowl toss together apples and pears. In smaller bowl, mix together sugar, sour cream, tapioca and cinnamon. Gently stir mixture into apples and pears. Spoon into crust. Top with crumbs, mounding slightly. Bake on lined cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake additional 40 to 50 minutes until fruit is tender. If topping browns too quickly, cover completely with foil.
Photo by Jodi Miller