Sweet and spicy peach chutney is the perfect topping and compliment for a creamy wheel of tangy Brie. Leaving the edible rind of the cheese intact helps the wheel to hold its shape as it warms.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 pound fresh peaches peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Salt to taste
- 8-ounce Brie cheese wheel at room temperature
- Toasted slices of baguette or crackers to accompany
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, ginger and red pepper flakes and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the peaches, wine, sugar, lemon juice and salt. Cook until the peaches are soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Coarsely mash the peaches with a fork. Add the raisins and simmer until the liquid is reduced, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Place the wheel of Brie in a small round baking dish, just big enough to hold the cheese. Top with the peach chutney. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is soft. Let stand 5 minutes before serving with toasted slices of baguette.
Makes 6 to 8 appetizer servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller