Chunks of eggplant, onion and tomatoes take kindly to simmering in a smoky, tangy barbeque sauce like Matt’s Hog Spit BBQ Sauce. Add a green salad and a slice of crusty bread for a great dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red onion cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/4 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 15- ounce can cooked lentils with liquid
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 scallions
- salt to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom Dutch oven or a large braising pan. Add the eggplant and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the onion and sauté another minute or two. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, garlic and pepper. Cook for five minutes.
Stir in the tamari, barbecue sauce, lemon juice and honey. Add the lentils and the liquid and simmer for 15 minutes. Add water if the sauce appears too thick. Add the parsley, scallions and salt, to taste.
Note: Tamari is a variety of fermented soy sauce that is thicker, richer, less salty and more flavorful than traditional soy sauce. It can easily be found on grocery store shelves.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Photo by Jodi Miller