This is a dish full of wild and distinct flavors and a delightful chewiness thanks to the earthiness of both the black walnuts and wild rice.Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice, cooked according to directions
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice, cooked according to directions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup black walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 2 cloves garlic, minced
Cook the wild and white rices according to directions. Melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the black walnuts, green onions, mushrooms and green peppers for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften slightly. Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute. Add the prepared wild and white rices and continue cooking, stirring several times, until heated through.
Recipe adapted from Hammons Product Company, Stockton Mo.
Published in the January/February 2016 issue of Our Ohio. Stay connected with and support great food and farm stories like this by becoming an Our Ohio Supporter. For just $25 you can stay connected with Ohio food and farm stories while supporting local foods and community outreach.