After a day on the trails what could be better than a hearty bowl of buffalo chicken chili made on the campfire. The key to outdoor cooking is simplicity and creativity.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, (or to taste), chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
Place a large Dutch oven on medium heat and add the butter, heating until butter is melted. Add the ground chicken or turkey, breaking it up into small pieces, until browned. Add carrot, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in the chicken stock, making sure to loosen the ground meat from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Add the buffalo wing sauce, tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes (may need to adjust cook time if cooking on a camp stove or campfire.) Remove bay leaf before serving.
Photo by Galen Ludwick Harris