Not all greens have to go into salads. Chard is a versatile spring green with leaves that have a spinach-like flavor. Sliced thin, they can be added to salad mixes or used in this delicious soup to take the chill out of a cold spring day.
- 6 cups richly flavored chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound chard, leaves cut into thin ribbons, (stems reserved for another use)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Thin slivers of chard to garnish
Combine the chicken stock and garlic in a large pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the chard leaves, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer until the chard is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the cheese.
In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the lemon juice. Return the soup to a boil. Using a fork, gradually stir the eggs into the soup until they appear thin and “thread” like, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with slivers of chard and serve with extra cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Photo by Jodi Miller