- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- course salt and ground pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium low. Add shallots and ginger, cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add cranberries, sugar, vinegar, orange peel and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until most of the berries have burst and mixture has thickened, 10-15 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Can be stored in the refrigerator up to two weeks.